BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
ok, so i need to unlock the door with my key FOB to disable the double lock or i can put power to the door lock system to unlock it?
which wires to do connect to the GM harness?

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
ok, so i need to unlock the door with my key FOB to disable the double lock or i can put power to the door lock system to unlock it?
which wires to do connect to the GM harness?
So. When the door on a 2-dr does not unlock electronically at all it is usually caused by a bad door lock actuator. Pulling up on the door sill pin will not do anything. Powering the actuator via the wires that go to the general module must be done without the general module connected. You can try it. I can post pin numbers later tonight, but, it probably won’t do anything. The brushed in the motor at in dead spots on the commutator where the contact resistance to so high that not enough current can flow through the motor. Maybe powering them with 20 or 30 Volts instead of 12 Volts might be enough to get them working, but, replace the actuators immediately with brand new actuators. NEVER use used actuators. The passenger actuator is powered by the general module through connector X253 (the middle 54-pin connector). Pin 33 is MER, pin 16 - MZS, pin 54 - MVR. When the actuator is stuck in double lock mode (when a pull on the interior door handle doesn't unlock the door) means that the motor connected across MER and MZS is bad. The motor is not replaceable, the actuator is not repairable and must be replaced. Normally to UN-double lock the actuator, power is applied to this motor with + to MER and - to MZS. Warning-Never apply external power to these pins with the general module connected.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
thanks. that's kind of what i figured
just have to figure out how to get the door open. i may have to use an air chisel or something to destroy the actuator. what a crappy design...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thank you
I’ll try those pins as you suggested
Any other pins that may be worth powering?

·
Registered
596 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So. When the door on a 2-dr does not unlock electronically at all it is usually caused by a bad door lock actuator. Pulling up on the door sill pin will not do anything. Powering the actuator via the wires that go to the general module must be done without the general module connected. You can try it. I can post pin numbers later tonight, but, it probably won’t do anything. The brushed in the motor at in dead spots on the commutator where the contact resistance to so high that not enough current can flow through the motor. Maybe powering them with 20 or 30 Volts instead of 12 Volts might be enough to get them working, but, replace the actuators immediately with brand new actuators. NEVER use used actuators. The passenger actuator is powered by the general module through connector X253 (the middle 54-pin connector). Pin 33 is MER, pin 16 - MZS, pin 54 - MVR. When the actuator is stuck in double lock mode (when a pull on the interior door handle doesn't unlock the door) means that the motor connected across MER and MZS is bad. The motor is not replaceable, the actuator is not repairable and must be replaced. Normally to UN-double lock the actuator, power is applied to this motor with + to MER and - to MZS. Warning-Never apply external power to these pins with the general module connected.

thanks
i put power across the MER and MZS (GM5 not installed)
and i could hear the motor click like it was trying but the actuator did not unlock. i even used two car batteries in series to boost the voltage and no difference

·
Registered
596 Posts
If none of that works. Try calling a local automotive locksmith and see what he tells you. They have some ingenious ways to get car doors open. Its worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
thanks
i put power across the MER and MZS (GM5 not installed)
and i could hear the motor click like it was trying but the actuator did not unlock. i even used two car batteries in series to boost the voltage and no difference
Then double pull the interior handle.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts