BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a E46 convertible and the seller told me the passenger side door won't open. not from the inside or the outside
i have had the battery disconnected for several weeks while i do other stuff on it, but even with it disconnected the lock mechanism pulls the pin (on the side of the door) down. i've tried to pull the handle on the inside twice (what dealership told me to do)
and since i can't open the door, i can't get to the bolts that hold the actuator in place.

i'm not sure if it's the actuator, GM5, or something else

any thoughts?
please / thanks!

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,214 Posts
Give us the last 7 of your VIN.
Likely you'll need to pull the connector at the module and directly supply power/ground in the correct polarity to unlock the actuator.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i bought a E46 convertible and the seller told me the passenger side door won't open. not from the inside or the outside
i have had the battery disconnected for several weeks while i do other stuff on it, but even with it disconnected the lock mechanism pulls the pin (on the side of the door) down. i've tried to pull the handle on the inside twice (what dealership told me to do)
and since i can't open the door, i can't get to the bolts that hold the actuator in place.

i'm not sure if it's the actuator, GM5, or something else

any thoughts?
please / thanks!
Wow! Tough...I think it's the actuator. But you can't get to it because the door will not open...electrically?
Every thing speculation here on my behalf...
Fuse maybe? Disconnect the G5 unit?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
last 7 of the VIN is EG01892

i pulled the GM5 the other day, ready to ship it out to the guy who fixes them.
the door won't open at all. neither the interior nor exterior handle work. i've pulled the door card (was a feat considering the door is locked shut). i hope i'm explaining it well, coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but the battery has been disconnected for several weeks and the lock indicator on the door itself keeps getting sucked down, so it's like the door itself thinks it's locked. i don't know how the actuator functions, so i'm not sure if that's the issue

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i haven't checked, just pulled the GM5 out the other night
but since the door won't open, even when the battery is disconnected i'm assuming the GM5 isn't making a difference, but it's entirely possible i misunderstand the function of the GM5
it seems the door is stuck or locked, in the locked position

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Locking with arming:The vehicle doors can be opened neither from the inside nor the inside.

”Locking with arming” is implemented when:

-The ignition lock is in position 0 and the vehicle key is removed.
-The driver's or passenger's door is opened after removing the key
-The driver's and passenger's doors are closed
-The vehicle is locked via the door lock or remote control

Central double-locking of the vehicles also locks the flaps and compartments fitted with central-locking drives (see above).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
getty150 - that's kind of what i'm thinking
unless the GM5 or some other system (double lock) basically disables the unlock mechanism and locks it into locked state?...

·
Registered
60 Posts
getty150 - that's kind of what i'm thinking
unless the GM5 or some other system (double lock) basically disables the unlock mechanism and locks it into locked state?...
I know there's a feature on my e83 that allows (using the key fob) that when unlocked and door not opened physically, the locks will lock automatically after say 2 minutes I think this is standard.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks. so what is the recommendation? do i need to replace the actuator?
how do it get the actuator out if the door is closed?

·
Registered
60 Posts
thanks. so what is the recommendation? do i need to replace the actuator?
how do it get the actuator out if the door is closed?
You gotta get that door open. That's what I first would do...did you say you tried the key fob?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i did try with the key fob, i know the fob battery was dying.
i have the GM5 here in front of me, ready to ship out today.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

·
Registered
10,075 Posts
Can you mechanically pull up the lock button on the top of the door card? You could epoxy the flat head of a screw to the lock button to force the button up. It’s sounds like a spring in the actuator has gone “over the edge.” I blame covid19. /s

·
Registered
01 330ci coupe
33 Posts
Surprised nobody has straight up said to fix the gm5 first. If the central locking button next to the hazard light button doesn't work, or doesn't work with the pass side door lock, almost sure its the GM5. No point in taking apart the door before trying out a fixed module.

I had pretty much the same issue and fixed it with new gm5 relays. Here's a similar thread where someone else had a similar issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can you mechanically pull up the lock button on the top of the door card? You could epoxy the flat head of a screw to the lock button to force the button up. It’s sounds like a spring in the actuator has gone “over the edge.” I blame covid19. /s
yes, i can pull up on the lock button, but it pulls itself back down into the door card. there doesn't seem to be any combination of pulling up on that lock pin and opening handles that will open the door

Surprised nobody has straight up said to fix the gm5 first. If the central locking button next to the hazard light button doesn't work, or doesn't work with the pass side door lock, almost sure its the GM5. No point in taking apart the door before trying out a fixed module.

I had pretty much the same issue and fixed it with new gm5 relays. Here's a similar thread where someone else had a similar issue.
i thought about that, but the battery has been disconnected for 3 weeks. shouldn't it default to some unpowered state?
could it be related to a double lock condition?
i did send my GM5 out for repair last night, i have an issue with my fuel door. plus i put a new battery in my key FOB, just in case.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
There was early on the suggestion of applying power to the lock actuator to unlock it. Via the pins at the GM.

If it's double locked (electro-mechanically done) disconnecting the battery, even for a period of time would not see the motor roll in the other direction (performed electrically) to undo itself.

Normally if when the car is locked, it will double lock. Walking up to the car and hitting the unlock button on the key would (normally) see two things happen:
The drivers door will completely unlock. The other door(s) will come off of double lock, but still remain locked with normal locking.

Then you pull the inner door handle (rt. side) twice, and the door opens.

He needs to get the double locking undone.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts