BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the door lock pin will not go up or down, with remote or interior switch. BUT when i press the lock it will still lock and then unlock. it acts as it should but the black "pin thing" does not depress within the door when locked and pop up when unlocked it remains up

thoughts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
so the door lock pin will not go up or down, with remote or interior switch. BUT when i press the lock it will still lock and then unlock. it acts as it should but the black "pin thing" does not depress within the door when locked and pop up when unlocked it remains up

thoughts
Maybe the door actuator shit the bed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
You are confusing, the state of the door being locked or not is not clear.

I read that you can use any of the electrical methods to lock and unlock the doors, but one of the doors remains with the button up (the status of the door being locked is not known). You can push the button (the black post that sticks up through the door panel) down, but it comes up again (and you do not mention the status of the actual door lock).

Because you are not clear, it sounds as if the door does not lock. You can use the car's electronics and the button does not move, and you can physically push the button down but it comes up again.

You are describing an issue with the Door Lock Actuator, Item 9 in this picture, RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog (You cannot use this picture because it's for an E36, so you have to find the applicable page for your car.) Alternatively, you can be having trouble with the (I think) the General Body Module. Somebody will correct me on this point...

To gain access to this item, you must remove the door card (the panel on the inside of the door). I think your car will have airbags in the doors, this means that you must not turn the key on to test your work else you will trigger an airbag fault that will require a trip to the diagnostic machine to clear. Disconnect your battery at the Negative (black) terminal while you are working.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m not describing it well enough. With the fob or switch it locks and unlocks as normal. The only difference is the actual physical little black knob on the door stays up regardless

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Air bag can stay plugged in and just the bottom portion of the vapor guard needs to be removed. Then you fanagal the actuator out.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
For the cost of repairs, if the door physically locks and unlocks properly, you can secure it and people can get in or out when they want to, then this is one of those times when you should just sit on the lawn and admire the sleek beauty that is, the ultimate driving machine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since I’m here and it came up. I have to disconnect a battery to take the door card off??? What if I wanna replace the speakers or jut about anything. That seems just ridiculous

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Since I’m here and it came up. I have to disconnect a battery to take the door card off??? What if I wanna replace the speakers or jut about anything. That seems just ridiculous

Welcome to the wild and woolly world of side airbags. If you want to take the seats out, you also need to disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
You should always unhook the battery when doing anything with electronics. But if you're not removing the air bag, you can perform the fix, leave the door card off, connect your battery and test your work.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
3,584 Posts
I’m not describing it well enough. With the fob or switch it locks and unlocks as normal. The only difference is the actual physical little black knob on the door stays up regardless
I'd also bee looking at item #23 and the lever it attaches to.

·
Registered
2005 BMW 330i
713 Posts
You actually just get an airbag light that is all.

But because of liabilities I can neither confirm nor deny

·
Registered
2005 BMW 330i
713 Posts
goes away after relearn on on forever?
As far as I know, only some scanners can reset airbag codes. That's why most unplug airbag, as well as their could be the possibility of the unknown. But I've unplugged mine a few times and have been able to reset it with my schwaben scam tool (they're about $150)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
guess ill make sure o take he neg off the battery for everything. rotate tires, upgrade speakers, piss ha

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
guess ill make sure o take he neg off the battery for everything. rotate tires, upgrade speakers, piss ha

Don't be nasty. The airbag will trigger a fault if the key is on and the airbag is unplugged. It also has a deployment potential if you do not unplug it.

Disconnect the battery, then unplug the bag(s) as needed to do the work you are doing. Plug the bag in and connect the battery to test, then disconnect the battery and unplug the bag to continue. The problem is, the car goes out to do a status check on all SRS components, and any component that does not reply causes a fault that is a Safety of Flight item that demands a high level inspection to clear. You do not own the high level equipment that is needed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts