E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you guys offer insight on what other parts i may need?

i'm looking to get rid of the slop in the shifter... looking at realoem.com based on VIN i'm going to get:

#2 - is there better than the rubber bushing that is offered from fcpeuro? (ideally id want to buy something to last 100k miles... if at all possible without having to crawl under the car again)
#3 / #4 left and right clips (just in case i break mine off...)
#5 - bushing in the rear
#6- e60 shifter instead of original ??
#7 - this part seems to fail over time
#9 - replaced by dssr rod
#10 - 4x yellow washers at 3 bucks a pop (kind of unreal)
#11 - 4x just some spares if i cant reuse the old ones...
#12 / 13 / 14 / 15 - this part seems to connect to the transmission housing

FCP shows the last part #12 was remade and the plastic washers is no longer needed...

Attachments

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
5,354 Posts
IMO if you wanted to upgrade the shifter Rogue Engineering would be my first choice. rebmw.com

If sticking with factory parts: #2, 3, 4, 5 (tough not to bugger up), 7, 8, 10 and the selector rod joint mentioned above.

We often omit two of the #10 yellow washers, and substitute two wave washers (mounted first) on the rod. Always keeps the play out.
I suggested such to Rogue a couple of decades ago, and now everybody seems to make it part of a short shift kit. ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
E60 shifter will be a more pronounced improvement on 323/325 models, just FYI. I did one on a 328/330 shifter and it was only a slight improvement, so now I’m looking for a better solution.

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,247 Posts
I would add the shift selector seal. If you are going to that much work, you may as well eliminate a common wear part.

you won't need 10

Also, are you doing the giubo/flex disc?A smart replacement even if it doesn't look broken. You would need to replace the nuts as well.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no i havent thought about doing the guibo

i am about to reach 60k miles and all i am expecting to do at the moment is:

oil change
front brake pads
partial cooling system refresh (as my expansion tank is showing signs of wear) minus the heater hoses and water pump (will save that piece for 90-100k)
lower control arm bushing (the lollipop part) - (i got this part from a forum member, looks to be different style than the original that i am used to seeing as i'm expericing a wobble in the steering wheel)

eventually get ready to do front and rear suspension (may go lower.. but i encountered so many issues last time i had a shop drop me lower that i want to stick with oem ride height and replace parts as needed)

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,247 Posts
no i havent thought about doing the guibo

i am about to reach 60k miles and all i am expecting to do at the moment is:

oil change
front brake pads
partial cooling system refresh (as my expansion tank is showing signs of wear) minus the heater hoses and water pump (will save that piece for 90-100k)
lower control arm bushing (the lollipop part) - (i got this part from a forum member, looks to be different style than the original that i am used to seeing as i'm expericing a wobble in the steering wheel)

eventually get ready to do front and rear suspension (may go lower.. but i encountered so many issues last time i had a shop drop me lower that i want to stick with oem ride height and replace parts as needed)
Yours has low mileage, which is really nice, but high years - take a look at this guide:
A NEW maintenance schedule for OLD e46s

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh hell!

i just realized you did not mean the guibo for the driveshaft... but there was another "guibo" lets call it that.. for the actual shifter linkage which i DO remember replacing on my other 330ci that i had.. somewhere around the 150-160k mark... which was such a pain in the ass to do because it basically melted and did not want to come off at all!!

i had a feeling i may be looking into the ccv ... and all of the little components to keep the engine healthy!

thank you for the guide!

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,247 Posts
So first off it is "giubo" pronounced jew-boh. I learned that here!

There are two on the e46, on on the steering column and one on the driveshaft (6 holes)

I would recommend a new driveshaft giubo at 125-150

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
shifter linkage.. i meant steering column lmao.

yes i have a whole slew of parts that ... i am unnecessarily accumulating and not installing!!!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im so lost as to what to buy....

i almost want to buy everything and then use fcpeuro's policy to return the items that i didnt't use and just burn myself on the shipping costs.

i emailed the other manufacturer for help on what to order with THEIR kit... and its not as helpful as these forums. its like theyu just want you buy they parts and go figure it out yourself.

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,247 Posts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts