BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, through work i get some baaaadasssss deals on parrot bluetooth kits. the ck3000 is 50, ck3100 for like 80, and up from there. i was wondering if anybody had successfully integrated it into the car with oem functionality/a clean look?

my main goals:
-automatically mutes the stereo (does this come with the kit?)
-utilizes the steering wheel buttons (would i need another harness for this?)
-looks clean

this is why im leaning torwards the ck3000, that thing is tiny and i have no screen to figure out where to mount. the buttons for the ck3000 are tiny so that shouldnt be a problem. from what ive read people have mounted the mic in the OEM mic location with no problem.

thanks for any input guys. heres a link: http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/bluetooth-hands-free-car-kits

·
Registered
95 Posts
I might be able to help...a tad. Here is my review of my CK3100

I bought the CK3100 with the LED Screen. I had considered the one without, but I like the idea of seeing who was calling w/o looking at the phone. Therefore...this is how is went down.

Installation requires you buy a harness from a third party vendor. I went with quickconnectproducts.com

They were Fantastic! I sent an email inquiring on the proper harness to get, and he replied within a few minutes. Bought the harness and tackled the seemingly simple install. The problem I ran into, and others have as well is that the harness cords are large and plenty, and its really tough to fit behind the stock head unit. I made a few cuts to the plastic under the head unit and placed the harness wires above the heater...which others suggested as well and it worked fine. All the cords are hidden behind the dash/glove box of course and once you get placement right, its is really simple to install.

The mic I placed at the stock mic location. I haven't placed it inside yet, just outside and everyone tells me they hear me just fine.

The unit I placed inside of the ash tray. I took the tray out, made a custom liner and installed the unit there, so when the vehicle is parked I can close the lid and the unit is completely hidden and the car goes back to stock.

Although I decided not to get the harness for the steering wheel controls, quickconnectproducts.com does carry those for your car as well...pretty certain of that. I went against it for two reasons...1) price. With Both harness and the unit, it became it bit more than I had originally expected (harness was $60). 2) I simply reach down and touch a button...I can deal with that.

As for functionality, its awesome. The music gets muted with an incoming call, and all sound then comes out of the front spks. Then of course goes right back to your music source once the call is finished.

My only complaint: Had a Blackberry first connected to it and it uploaded all the phones conctacts, names, battery life, signal strength, just about everything to the LCD screen. Switched back to a Palm (which I love also), and have the Centro now. The Centro syncs just the same info as the blackberry did, but not the contacts. So I don't have caller id until I do a firmware update on the Centro which I read solves this issue for most. We'll see...

All in All...the parrot is a awesome affordable solution around the BMW Stock Module that is way way pricier.

Thanks for listening to my lengthy review...

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that was awesome man!! i really appreciate all the input. you're making this alot easier. haha

·
Registered
95 Posts
I tried...glad it helped and let us know how it went!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I tried...glad it helped and let us know how it went!
so, let me see if I got this right: the parrot can be installed as a replacement for the OEM Bluetooth without a problem?? just a couple mods here and there but pretty much problemless??

·
Registered
95 Posts
so, let me see if I got this right: the parrot can be installed as a replacement for the OEM Bluetooth without a problem?? just a couple mods here and there but pretty much problemless??
Not sure if I am misunderstanding your question but...

The parrot is a completely seperate bluetooth aftermarket solution. It can be installed in nearly any car, as long as they make a harness for it.

It isn't some kind of plug and play in place of the factory location or anything.

It is however super easy to install, works great with no problems in my vehicle at least, and is way less expensive than buying the bmw module. The only mod I technically had to do was cut a plastic piece that was in the way of the wire harness above the heater/below the head unit. Not sure if that is considered a mod...aside from that nothing...technically. The "modding" comes down to where you want to install the unit itself. Install required removing the head unit and glove box. Anyone that knows how to use a screwdriver can install this thing.

Does that help?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not sure if I am misunderstanding your question but...

The parrot is a completely seperate bluetooth aftermarket solution. It can be installed in nearly any car, as long as they make a harness for it.

It isn't some kind of plug and play in place of the factory location or anything.

It is however super easy to install, works great with no problems in my vehicle at least, and is way less expensive than buying the bmw module. The only mod I technically had to do was cut a plastic piece that was in the way of the wire harness above the heater/below the head unit. Not sure if that is considered a mod...aside from that nothing...technically. The "modding" comes down to where you want to install the unit itself. Install required removing the head unit and glove box. Anyone that knows how to use a screwdriver can install this thing.

Does that help?
Well, you kind of answer the questions but I still have some more!! :confused: So I do understand this is an aftermarket solution but where did you buy the harness for your car? how much did you pay? Were you able to use the steering wheel controls? did you use the mic spot in your car or just a different one to set your mic from the parrot? I appreciate your patience and kindness answering my questions. I guess it is better ask thant assume, right? and since you seem to have the answers, I rather asking you instead of blowing up my electric system!! :rofl:

Paulo

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well, you kind of answer the questions but I still have some more!! :confused: So I do understand this is an aftermarket solution but where did you buy the harness for your car? how much did you pay? Were you able to use the steering wheel controls? did you use the mic spot in your car or just a different one to set your mic from the parrot? I appreciate your patience and kindness answering my questions. I guess it is better ask thant assume, right? and since you seem to have the answers, I rather asking you instead of blowing up my electric system!! :rofl:

Paulo
LOL about blowing up your electrical system!

No worries...Here we go...

I paid $129 on sale at Best Buy the Parrott CK3100 (black edition). The harness I got from quickconnectproducts.com for $60. I opted not to get the steering wheel control unit, cause that was a bit pricier. I don't recall the cost so I won't quote. But...I know it is possible. The Mic comes with the parrott, and for now, I just stuck it on the outside of the stock mic location, however, I have heard people have success with placing it behind the stock mic grille. I have not heard of anyone being able to tap into the stock mic to make that work in place of the parrott mic.

Hope that answers your questions.

FYI...when you got to quickconnectproducts.com, just email them a pic of the back of your headunit harness connection, and they'll tell you exactly which harness to get. Like I said in a previous posting here, they are super responsive, and I had my email answered in ten minutes. Remember, there are several versions of our head units, so its just easier to email them a pic. For instance, I had to get a harness for an '01 e46, even though I have an '04. Don't ask why...it just is.

Let us know how it goes...

As one more FYI...if you have a Circuit City Closing Store close by, I found the Parrott model with the Color LCD screen that usually retails for $200 and change for $100. Check it our and good luck!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Here's one for the BT guru's...

I have two BT capable cell phones (personal & work)... how would a setup like CK3000 or similar handle this when i travel with both phones ?
Does it sync with both phones (that makes sense for incoming calls, but could be problematic when trying to place outbound call) and how do i specify which phone to use for outbound ?

I guess maybe i would have to disable BT capability on one phone ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts