E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been using my E46 (my first BMW) for over 2.5 years without any issue.
Couple days ago I accelerated from a parking lot and suddenly it beeped. This is the beep it usually gives when I drive with my parking brake on. I checked the parking brake but it was not ON. Then I saw that parking brake, ABS and traction control lights are all ON.

I was already on the road so I kept driving for couple of minutes until I found a place to stop the car. I turned off the engine and started again. It seemed all fine as no indicator lights were ON. But soon as I started to drive those 3 lights came back ON.

Then I parked the car again and put gear to drive and put the parking brake and let go of the brake (pedal). The car moved. I think I can safely say that the parking brakes are not working.

I kept driving anyway with the lights ON. After about 1 hour of driving I parked and went to a shopping mall and came back after about 2 hours. And then when I drove the lights were gone. No more indicator lights.

I thought the problem was fixed but unfortunately although there are no idicator lights ON, the parking brake doesnt seem to work. I tried couple of time putting the car on drive and checking with parking brake and it moved.

I would really appreciate any advice. I live in Japan and reparing a BMW is very costly as I need to take it to an agent. Even just to check with the computer they charge a lot.

Any information is appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much guys.
The indicator lights are not coming on anymore. The parking brake not working is the real problem. Now that I think about it I don't know since when it was not working. I can't remember the last time I used it. Just pull it when I stop, don't really bother to think if it works.

I will first try the screws under the handle.
Thank you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.