BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered a good size dent on my C-Pillar, right by the rear window, on my 2001 330XI. Attached is a picture of the dent.

I have heard that PDR (paintless dent repair) cannot fix dents in this location on most cars. Is this true for the E46? Has anyone had a similar dent removed? I am not sure if the dent can be accessed from behind or not.

I figured I would ask here before making an appointment at a body shop.

Thanks
Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
i think the best you can do is go to a paintless dent repair shop to have them look at it. unless someone here is an expert, i doubt you will find definite answers here.

also, i have had many dents pulled out at paintless repair shops, some in spots that people have told me it's not possible. make sure you check out different shops if one is telling you they can't do it. good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright thanks! I was just hoping someone had some experience with a dent in this location to make me feel a little better... I still can't believe someone did this to my car!

Andrew

·
Registered
123 Posts
from the picture, it looks like it is possible to have it removed. Used to know a person who did PDR, on hard to reach places holes are sometimes drilled into unseen location big enough to slide their tool into. Then the dent is massaged out and the hole is painted then plugged.

So like everyone said, just swing by the place and see if it can be done.

FYI .... for the best deal, try to find out when PDR guy visits a certain dealership and speak with him directly. I paid $60 bucks onces to have my whole car done when I use to own an integra.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Theres a thread posted within the last week about heating the panel with a hair dryer and spraying CO2 from a can on the dent. According to the video in the post, the dent just popped out.
It works like a charm, but theres still some difference in opinion bout this method.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The paint pealed off by the back window part. More then likely you are going to have to touch up. Even if you use touch up paint it wont come out great... get it re sprayed. as far as the dent... you should really have them pop it out... and then knock down the high points... and add slight coat of bondo to make sure the surface is smooth and go with the contour of the body. thats the right way to do it. I wouldnt trust those dent pop thing. adds waves

thats my .02

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for the input. There is a slight chip in the paint, which could probably be touched up decently. I just hate the idea of Bondo on my car, but this may be the only option and would probably end up looking better.

I am bringing the car into a body shop for an opinion either this week or next... I will let you know what they end up saying.

I have also heard a lot about the dent repair with dry ice, but I have always been scared to try it on my BMW. I'll save that for another car.

Andrew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts