BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could i paint this bumper ducts myself, since i am too lazy to go to bodyshop for suck minor job. Any paint recommendation? also i need prime and clearcoat? I have never done any paint job myself. Thanks for any input. i borrow the attached

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
do you have a sprayer???
otherwise you can get the paint in a can (dont pay more than 20 bux for a big can of spraypaint that's oem color).

i recommend very thin coats of everything. take your time, otherwise it's gonna look crappy.

primer it, let it dry completely, sand it w/ some very fine sandpaper (1000 grit or something), primer it again if it's too thin. sand again. put the basecoat on, let it dry, nother layer of basecoat, etc, etc... then spray the clearcoat on (if your car came stock w/ clearcoat, you need to clearcoat this paint too otherwise the paint wont shine). you may need multiple layers of clearcoat to get that thing to shine nicely. dont sand anything except the primer.

good luck, but i would just take it to a body shop and pay 50 bux or whatever... this will cost you 30 bux (minimum, unless u get hooked up or somethign) for clearcoat, oem paint in a can, and primer.

edit: i am NOT a painter, but i have painted various things in this fashion and they turned out allright (but i would never even try to paint my own car :( )
:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts