BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into a problem... I washed my grilles with alcohol before starting. i applied a good and even coat of Rustoleum Automobile Primer, which says quick drying in 15-20 mins. Its been about 40 so far and its still wet. Can it be beacause its slightly cold outside? (60 degress?) i wiped that coat off with a paper towel and tried sanding a little and applied another coat. i figure ill give it the night to dry and check in the morning. any suggestions?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:bump: plz hlp... i dont wanna have to drive tomorrow with no grilles...

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,178 Posts
Are you painting directly onto the chrome?

You should also try to use some adhesion promotor. I use Bulldog Adhesion Promotor when I clear coat CF parts and it helps a lot.

The temperature also makes a difference.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i tried going directly over the chrome paint, i though primer was capable of doing that and the DIY directions i got said to do that... i dont know, ill see what its like the the AM and if its wet ill either go get a diff primer, or go to BMW and fork over 85 for a new grille :thumbdown:

·
SBBMotorwerks
567 Posts
60 degrees isnt that cold....the paint shouldnt still be wet after 40 minutes.

Try this.....get a pretty rough sandpaper, and sand the grille.....i did this before i primed the chrome....it gave the primer more of a surface to adhere to. I did a couple coats of primer, with a bit of light sanding in between coats to smooth things out. Once the surface was the way i wanted it (smooth and uniform), I started with the painting.

You shouldnt have to fork over another $85 for new grilles. If nothing else, use a hair dryer to help it dry. Or do what i do....paint outside, and then bring it inside to dry between coats.

·
SBBMotorwerks
567 Posts
Also....make sure you give the grille plenty of time to dry once you are done....i didnt wait long enough and when i went to put the grilles back on, i left my handprint in the paint....so i had to basically start over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts