BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a carbon fiber hood coming from modbargains, And I plan on painting it to match my car. (oriental metallic blue) I talked to a very recommended paint guy and he said that it will never look like a metal oem hood.

Has anyone here painted their carbon fiber hood?? Good.. Bad.. experiences to shares.. Preferably with pictures:)

Sooner the better. I plan on doing this within a week.

Thanks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey.. Saw an e46 with painted cf hood.. Nothing noticeble to see.. I was standing a few feet away from it..

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
A painted CF hood will look fine as long as the painter knows what they're doing. You prep like you would a normal hood and paint away.

·
Registered
575 Posts
It's more like putting light color tint on it. What that guy said ^

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the late reply. I actually got the hood from modbargains and it doesn't fit well at all. It also has large blemishes under the clear coat. One of which is a hand print. I'm trying to get it resolved through them but apparently there are very busy. When I get a new hood I will more then likely leave it CF because I think it looks great.
Hopefully they can come through soon though. It has been about three weeks and nothing...

·
Registered
28,945 Posts
u tell me

If a shop tells you it won't look right, they're not a good shop. Will you be able to tell if you look VERRRRY closely at a foot or two away? Sure. It almost has little streaks under the paint.. agai, we're talking point blank staring looking for an imperfection...

But to a normal onlooker, it will never be noticeable.

·
Registered
85 Posts
For the more inexpensive CF panels that are wavy/bumpy, the best thing to do is have the shop lay down a real thick coat of clear. Then it can be made smooth through sanding down the clearcoat. However, most shops will tell you it won't look right only because it's quite a bit of work and skill to get it right.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I dont get it. Adding a lightweight hood.. then adding weight to it to color match?? Whats the point? Just dont eat mcdonalds for a month and youll save that much weight....

·
Registered
28,945 Posts
I dont get it. Adding a lightweight hood.. then adding weight to it to color match?? Whats the point? Just dont eat mcdonalds for a month and youll save that much weight....
What is this "weight savings" you speak of?

·
Registered
85 Posts
painting does add weight but it won't be noticeable. Making paint a mute point. I don't think weight was the reason for the CF hood in this case either but a bonus. I think not painting it is a cosmetic mistake unless the car is black.

And I'm not suggesting cover all the CF but to expose some and cover some with paint to match the rest of the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts