E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
SBBMotorwerks
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, after my post this previous week, i finally got outside and got to work on my car...pretty decent list of mods this weekend, but my favorite...this painted bumper piece....here are some pics:

Attachments

·
SBBMotorwerks
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I used the same paint i used for my engine covers and as you can see its basically a perfect match. Rustoleum high temp aluminum paint...three coats...not clear coat....it holds up!!!
Will post more pics later...i am on a dialup and its taking forever!!

·
PSHOPWERKS
4,295 Posts
Post some pictures of your engine covers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
yeah post pic of the engine cover ............and also did u have to remove that piece from the car before paintin it ............if so how did u take it off and how long did it take u to do taht and paint the piece ..........

·
Beware of pwner
1,714 Posts
Looks good, it matches perfectly. Why didn't you use a clear coat? I painted my grills, and it seems like the clear coat changed the color a little bit, even though it shouldn't.

·
bored.
884 Posts
in ur thread u posted that u did ur calipers as well, any tips? i am thinkin of DIYin myself, and well the more i know the better...

--soheil

·
SBBMotorwerks
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the compliments!

To answer questions......why didnt i clearcoat? The type of paint i use doesnt like clearcoat for some reason. When i put it on it seems to dull the color, dont know why. But i have used this paint for my fog light trims with no clear coat, and it has not chipped and looks glossy...i am happy with it!

DIY on the calipers......take your wheel off, clean the hell out of everything and spray. It was that simple....if you get some paint on your rotor dont worry....it takes a few stops for it to wear off and then you are all good. Plus, while your wheels are off...if you are using a silver paint...go ahead and paint the bolts that hold the wheel on...completely changes the look

Gotta love cheap mods!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
thaisOn--the painted rear piece looks great!!

it really does give the bumper a nice new look, but could you tell us more in detail how exactly you take the piece off, is it really as simple as just pulling it out?
-TIA

·
SBBMotorwerks
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a coupe, so i dont have a similar piece on the front

As for removing it....there are about 10 clips on the top and bottom that hold it in. I started right by the exhaust. You have to lay down and get underneath the car to understand the clips. From the exhaust side i was able to release the first 3 or 4 clips on both the top and bottom.....once you get it started like this you can work from the back of the car. Once you have released the first few clips you will see a gap on the top and bottom....just keep going to the right....pull down on the bumper to release the bottom clips, and pull up to release the top ones. Once you get the clips undone you basically just pull to get the ends out....there arent any clips that hold then end in....although it seems that way....they are basically just wedged in really tightly. It took me about 20 mins of playing with it to get it off.....its not rocket science it just takes a bit of time. Hope this helps

·
Registered
74 Posts
Great, thanks a lot for the info....

I'll try this DIY next weekend. By the way, do you have any more pics besides up close ones, like the whole rear w/the painted piece? If you could post some pics like that, it would be great!

·
'a certain moderator'
34,496 Posts
looks really good man... damn i need u to do all my DIY painting for me, whenever u do it it comes out :thumbup: :D

u could also take out those rear red reflectors and paint them. a good look IMO

·
SBBMotorwerks
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is a pic of my car from afar to give you a better view of the overall look.

I think my next project will be to paint my reflectors...i just need to get the front yellow ones from the dealer (i lost mine after i put clears on, which i really dont like)

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
thanks for the pic, it looks sweet...

I'm sure it probably looks even better in person though. The painted piece def gives the bumper a cleaner, more solid look to it.

·
SBBMotorwerks
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Havent had any of my painted parts chip

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
yea lol you've only had it for 2 days

1 - 20 of 21 Posts