E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been wanting to do this for a while and priced out parts etc from the dealership (while I was there for a wheel lock), and various other places online as well. In total it would have cost about $400 to do with OEM parts, aobut $200 for everything from a 3rd party.

This whole thing cost me $14 and took me an afternoon at work during downtime to finish.

I've also not seen many E46s with black mirrors. Before the flaming I'm aware most cars with black door handles and black mirrors are of the less expensive veriety but take a look at the pictures and I think you'll agree it works on the Silver.

Went to Home Depot and grabbed this. Thought they'd have plasti dip but Its essentially the same thing and I've used Rustolium products before with success.

Began with a super high tech towel for spray, and waited for wind to die down.

Coat 1

Dry

Second Mirror first coat

Did the Grill earlier in the morning. Couple flat head screw drivers and some shimmying, just sprayed them on some newspaper. Only 2 coats. I know, time to replace the emblem.

Close up

Some finished product shots.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
i personally am not a fan of the choice of paint. would have preferred gloss black but the work looks great and matches your splitters nicely. You'll have to let us know how easy it peels off compared to plastidip

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i personally am not a fan of the choice of paint. would have preferred gloss black but the work looks great and matches your splitters nicely. You'll have to let us know how easy it peels off compared to plastidip
Indeed, I've still got a little left. Probably couldn't use it on much so maybe I'll just test things out on a surface. I'm going to get some wet'n'black for the trim and plastic/rubber stuff. Dont see why that wouldnt shine up the mirrors any.

·
Legendary like a schoolboy
6,325 Posts
just my opinion but the black side mirrors make the car look like it was purchased as a base model with no options. I like the body colored mirrors better.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Looking good. I would recommend loosing the dealer license plate frame on front. Also I think smoked corners would look very nice on your car.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,366 Posts
just my opinion but the black side mirrors make the car look like it was purchased as a base model with no options. I like the body colored mirrors better.
agreed, body colored mirrors look cleaner imho.
i do like the facelift kidney surrounds painted black :thumbup:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Looks good. I woukd have spent the 14 dollars on a proper front emblem however.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Before the flaming I'm aware most cars with black door handles and black mirrors are of the less expensive veriety but take a look at the pictures and I think you'll agree it works on the Silver.
Agree to disagree, I think you did a serious downgrade. Sometimes we need to step back and leave stuff alone. Now if you had painted it Gloss Black now we are talking about something else. Sorry, just being honest.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I like the grille. Mirrors I'm on the fence about. But to each his own.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts