BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2003 325i (M54B30 swap)
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know the color of our primer? I just pulled the bra off my car, and he's got some paint chips that go down to a black layer. If that's primer, is there any way I can touch it up? The chips are reasonably sized, probably about a square inch. They're all on just the bumper, not the body metal. Any insight is appreciated. Paint color is silbergrau metallic. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
You may want to look into dr color chip. It won't be perfect but it's the best touch up you can do. The only other option is to have the bumper repainted.

·
Registered
2003 325i (M54B30 swap)
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would this work on a chip as large as a square inch? I'll run and take a picture, but I'm pretty content to just get it to 'good enough', since it's only the bumper and i keep the bra on due to lots of highway driving in florida (yay lovebugs)

·
Registered
2003 325i (M54B30 swap)
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2003 325i (M54B30 swap)
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2003 325i (M54B30 swap)
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
although i didnt notice before, the dang thing's bubbling too. I think it's gonna need a repaint...
:facepalm:

·
Registered
2003 325i (M54B30 swap)
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I'm definitely gonna not use the friggin bra anymore. So much for helping protect the paint!

For anyone reading this, DON'T PUT A STUPID BRA ON YOUR CAR!

·
Registered
931 Posts
That is definitely a repaint and get it done professionally. Flex agent is a must for the paint.

·
Registered
2003 325i (M54B30 swap)
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
does anyone have a ballpark of what it repainted might cost (properly) I figure ~$500?

·
Registered
2003 325i (M54B30 swap)
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay! $300 I can live with. I'll just put off the purchase of that shiny new Avin Avant stereo for awhile longer:p
Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
To protect it after getting repainted, you may want to consider a clear bra.
Yuk! Those look horrible when they start to yellow.
There's a product called PremiumShield® 8.0 High Performance that warranted for 5 years against cracking or yellowing. Another called PremiumShield 8.4 Elite® High Performance that has a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
2003 325i (M54B30 swap)
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well my headunit has got one foot in the out door. It won't take CDs anymore, a couple of other issues. It's needed to be replaced for awhile, but I've been saving for something with good connectivity, that looks stock. I'll probably end up just replacing it with an ebay of the same, and wiring the aux input, but a guy can dream, right?

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
My dealer has in-house body shop and is reasonable.
Just had my front done for $350 and they took it off the car to sand, fill, and paint. Price included repairs.

I installed a clear bra when the car was new and pulled it off myself. Did not take any paint off anywhere as I peeled it.
But that was over factory paint. Perhaps your front was not original?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Replace your headunit with an OEM one that works and get a soundplicity or dice connection. I use my iPod as a hard drive for my in car music.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The reason it bubbled was because it was re painted or painted poorly.

There is only one thing that can make it bubble and a bra is not the cause.
Go ahead and run the bra all you want.

Now for the cause.........that is solvent pop. The painter who painted that part rushed the job.

Paint is carried by solvent out of the spray gun and onto the car
It starts with primer......

Primer makes paint stick.....paint will not stick to bare metal. It will stick to only primer

The primer is sprayed on.....then it flashes. This means the solvents evaporate and leave only the solids part of the paint.

If you don't let the primer evaporate for long enough.......then spray paint over it. The paint dries on top of the NON EVAPORATED PRIMER. The solvent sits there under the dried paint. The solvent can never evaporate because it is sealed in.

So your paint which is supposed to be mechanically bonded to the primer is now

NOT MECHANICALLY BONDED and just sitting on top of wet solvent in just that one tiny spot.

The bra comes into play because it is covering the paint and holding in heat. The heat on the paint can't escape because the bra holds it in. When it gets hot enough the liquid solvent expands so much that it has to have a place to go. It tries to forcefully escape and in turn pushes up the paint. The paint structure is so strong that it doesn't bust. If you were to put a pin hole in that bubble the solvents could escape and the air flowing in that hole would allow the primer to finally dry.

Typically....body shops are in hurry. They paint over the parts before the primer is completely dry. It makes me think your car was wrecked.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1005727
Look at his car and go to the flickr site. You can see the color of the primer there. You will also see a picture of a door sill where this happened on a larger scale. Although the trunk solvent popped too.

I had the car covered in plastic to mask it off to paint the hood. The heat got trapped under the plastic and the solvent finally popped the paint and finally busted. It also made more paint spots bubble up

Scenario #2...,,I can't tell from the picture but it looks like peeling clear and the dull black color is actually basecoat. Not primer. It could be the dull non cleared version of the cars color.

Scenario #3......,Or IT COULD BE THE PLASTIC that is black . Maybe it was painted on bare plastic and adhesion promotors was not used. If this is the case it's not solvent pop. It's that the bumper was never primed and isn't sticking because paint sticks to primer and nothing else. Adhesion promoter is like glue for paint to stick to plastic. .

You cannot reclear it unless it's re painted. Clear coat only sticks to other cler coat or WET PAINT that has been flashed properly.

On another note.....these are ideas only. I'm not there looking at it

1 - 20 of 32 Posts