BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any drawbacks witrh this unit? anyone currently using it? anyone have one of these for sale?

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jlevi said:
Sorry, no clue what a Pac swi-x, possibly the reason there are no replies... is that an abbreviation or am I just ignant?

it is a steering wheel interface. meaning its a unit that keeps your steering wheel buttons even after you install an aftermarket headunit

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i heard it doesnt work well in the sun. where did you install your IR light at Mr. 330?

·
Alpha Male
7,143 Posts
Mr. 330 and Bluecougar: where do you have yours mounted?

Mine is just above the ignition tumbler and I have issues when the sun roof is open.

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
Works pretty good, just make sure when programming, that you set it so that if you hold the volume up or down, it continuously increases/decreases volume in the radio. I forgot do do it in my wife's car, and it is a pain to have to push the button repeatedly. ...too lazy to take the whole thing out and reprogram.

Another thing to keep in mind, temporarily mount the "eye" with tape in desired location and try for a couple days, that way you can determine the ideal location before you drill any holes.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Everything ca1242 said, and also keep this in mind......if you have a significant variance in voltage from when the car is just in ACC and when it's actually running, it will affect your programming.
For instance, if the voltage drop is that severe, and say you program it with the car running, and then try to use it with the car just in ACC, it won't work. I always program with the car running.

This instance is not usually a problem, but it does exist.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
does anyone have any pics of where they mounted it? ive been trying to search for a spot that is usually covered with shade in my car. mybe right under the dash board near the foot cabin.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't think it would work under there. The little "eye" needs to be in line with the infrared port of your head unit/dvd player otherwise it won't work.

I had mine installed in the corner of the center console by the shifter. I've also seen it installed in the top center holder where the OEM alarm motion sensor is installed. I think it would be tight there. If i can dig up some pics, i'll post them up.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea some pics would be greatly apprieceated. how much did you guys pay to have it installed? how hard to install by my self?

·
Alpha Male
7,143 Posts
Can the wire for the emitter be extened?

Also it does not have to be in perfect line of sight to work. Mine is currentsly by my ignition and works (if the sun isn't too instense.

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
Clem said:
Can the wire for the emitter be extened?

Also it does not have to be in perfect line of sight to work. Mine is currentsly by my ignition and works (if the sun isn't too instense.
According to the manufacturer, you are not supposed to extend the wire, but you can always eperiment and see what kind of results you get.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts