BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit: Oh yeah, in case you're all wondering. I am in no way responsible for any damages caused to you, or your car, or your bmw scanner for any of this. This worked for me. I have tried it on windows 7 home premium 64 bit, as well as windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. It worked for me, it might work for you.

I have noticed that some people are having quite a bit of trouble installing this on the 64bit side, even though there are already threads telling them how. After reading through many of them, they only provide partial instructions, instructions even myself, an expert (on a scale between novice, advanced, expert, master) computer user struggled, that is for a few hours. It did make my head boggle up though. So here it is ladies and gents.

Go ahead and install the bmw scanner software. After you're done, plug the scanner into your OBD2 port, without having it plugged into your computer. Wait like 5 seconds (not 100% you even need to wait the 5 sec). Then, plug it in. Your computer will try several things. It'll attempt to find the driver and succeed, or not. Doesn't matter.

Go to http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm and scroll down to the box with listing of drivers of different operating systems. Since we're doing windows, I'm only covering that. The 1st row shows windows. All the way at the right hand side, under comments, you'll see "setup executable". You can download the drivers themselves but this thing does it all for you. Much easier. Once downloaded, install it. A black DOS like window pops up and installs it. The box usually disappears in like 5 seconds.

Once done, go to control panel, then device manager and right click on bmw scanner (usually under other devices) to select update driver software.

Select the option "Browse my computer for driver software". Then pick Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. Select towards the bottom "Universal serial bus controllers. On the next screen, on the left hand side under manufacturer, look for FTDI. When you click on it, to the right, select USB Serial Converter. Then click next. A message will pop up saying armageddon will reign down upon you and your computer if you install this and it isn't compatible. I decided to go for it and take the risk. Once installed, open up your bmw scanner software and start messing with all your options.

Have fun!

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
Thanks for a great installation guide. It was easy to follow and worked perfectly.

However, I was disappointed in the scanner. It threw up a few minor error codes but most items it just said "not found".

What options are you referring to? Other than a scan I could not see any options.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Page 1 and 2 should have the majority of the modules available. Most of page 3 modules are blank and not applicable to your car. Your key needs to be on so the modules can be read while scanning.You may have more issues than that,but I am just noting the basic.

sent from my ATARI sc1224

·
Banned
7,237 Posts
Thanks for a great installation guide. It was easy to follow and worked perfectly.

However, I was disappointed in the scanner. It threw up a few minor error codes but most items it just said "not found".

What options are you referring to? Other than a scan I could not see any options.

Am I missing something?
How many modules showed up?

I get about 80% of the first page only. The rest depends on your model, and software/hardware versions.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Edit: Oh yeah, in case you're all wondering. I am in no way responsible for any damages caused to you, or your car, or your bmw scanner for any of this. This worked for me. I have tried it on windows 7 home premium 64 bit, as well as windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. It worked for me, it might work for you.

I have noticed that some people are having quite a bit of trouble installing this on the 64bit side, even though there are already threads telling them how. After reading through many of them, they only provide partial instructions, instructions even myself, an expert (on a scale between novice, advanced, expert, master) computer user struggled, that is for a few hours. It did make my head boggle up though. So here it is ladies and gents.

Go ahead and install the bmw scanner software. After you're done, plug the scanner into your OBD2 port, without having it plugged into your computer. Wait like 5 seconds (not 100% you even need to wait the 5 sec). Then, plug it in. Your computer will try several things. It'll attempt to find the driver and succeed, or not. Doesn't matter.

Go to http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm and scroll down to the box with listing of drivers of different operating systems. Since we're doing windows, I'm only covering that. The 1st row shows windows. All the way at the right hand side, under comments, you'll see "setup executable". You can download the drivers themselves but this thing does it all for you. Much easier. Once downloaded, install it. A black DOS like window pops up and installs it. The box usually disappears in like 5 seconds.

Once done, go to control panel, then device manager and right click on bmw scanner (usually under other devices) to select update driver software.

Select the option "Browse my computer for driver software". Then pick Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. Select towards the bottom "Universal serial bus controllers. On the next screen, on the left hand side under manufacturer, look for FTDI. When you click on it, to the right, select USB Serial Converter. Then click next. A message will pop up saying armageddon will reign down upon you and your computer if you install this and it isn't compatible. I decided to go for it and take the risk. Once installed, open up your bmw scanner software and start messing with all your options.

Have fun!
You can also just download a secure program from microsoft, Windows XP Mode and Virtual PC: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Worked the first time for me. (Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit)

·
Registered
674 Posts

Am I missing something?
This took me a while to figure out as well. After the scan, double click on the various "found" modules. Another screen will pop up, click the option on the left side that says someting about coding or recoding. Wish I was able to send a step by step process with pictures but I'm at work. There are really only a couple of the modules that I messed with, alarm (parking lights flash, clown nose), daytime running lights US. Just click around but be careful not to click the wrong thing.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got my cable yesterday. Can I start the car before using the cable so as to not let the battery drain?
Unless you have an 11 year old battery, which should be switched out, then you should be good.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
674 Posts
But is that an option for non windows 7 ultimate 64 bit users?
This is from Microsoft "works only with Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise". So either 32 or 64 bit since it doesn't specify.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is from Microsoft "works only with Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise". So either 32 or 64 bit since it doesn't specify.
Yeah so I guess the majority of the 64bit win 7 users on home premium will benefit most from this.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just wanted to let you guys know that I installed Virtual PC on a Windows 7 64 bit Home OS. I found a youtube link and followed that and all worked well. I have a couple of coding laptops and I wanted to put the software on there. Microsoft just like BMW will want you to believe that things only work a certain way...we all know the truth to that

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have it set up through vmware and straight through windows 7 by way of the method I stated above. however, I do notice a drawback with it being on the native windows platform. from time to time, when I attempt to connect to the car, it doesn't recognize it, stating ike can't be found. now it might have something to do with the fact that i had recently used ncs expert through windows xp vmware. when I switch out cables and use ncs expert, I select an option allowing it to switch that usb port over to vmware when I'm done i have to switch it back and it may be messing with the driver. small inconvenience since if that causes any frustration, I just switch back to windows xp vmware and connect with the coding software. it takes a little more time and is slower through the virtual emulator but works nonetheless.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just wanted to let you guys know that I installed Virtual PC on a Windows 7 64 bit Home OS. I found a youtube link and followed that and all worked well. I have a couple of coding laptops and I wanted to put the software on there. Microsoft just like BMW will want you to believe that things only work a certain way...we all know the truth to that
Yeah i know what you mean. I just coded my own transponder in order for me to obtain a spare key. I also found out bmw bs about a lot more, like not being able to clone keys, lies, not being able to have more than 10 keys (not at the same time mind you) total for an ews, lies, not being able to duplicate the ews rolling code, lies, and I'm sure if I could do it with my own keys I should be able to take my keys and code it to another person's ews, lies! My whole life as a bmw owner has all been lies. I don't know what the truth is anymore! Well, the truth is I uncovered a lot of lies by bmw.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Use that on 64 bits at your own risk guys.
You are already using a clone interface made in China originally made by PA Soft in Russia, already BMW Scanner is not 100% sound, so over a a cloned interface on a 64 bits systems, yeah that looks alright, but you are taking risks that can be costly.

1 - 20 of 383 Posts