BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned P46's for over a year now and i've always noticed that the passenger headlight has a much sharper cutoff on the road than the driver's side. I always figured it was because i had two different colored bulbs(long story), but recently i upgrade to new 5000k 50w xenons, and i'm still getting the same problem.

When I drive right up to a wall, both lights seem to have a sharp cutoff, as seen in the first picture. However, when i drive onto the road, the cutoff difference is substantial. the passenger is a sharp on/off cutoff, no matter what distance. but the driver's is just spread out all over the place. Either would be fine if they were both the same, but because they are different, they look weird together.

My thoughts are the horizontal aiming is screwed up. I can't adjust the horizontal aiming anymore, it just keeps spinning(i might have turned it too fast initially a year ago). So i'm thinking the driver's horizontal aiming is so far off to the side that it's not entering the lense straight causing it's focus to be off. Does this make sense, or do you think it's just a bad lense? Is there a way to take it apart and fix the horizontal aiming? or perhaps fix the lense if it's defective? Any suggestions will be appreciated, thanks

The pictures below do not do justice, but i have taken one of both lights against a wall, both on the road, and each on it's own(i blocked the other)

Attachments

·
ASPTuning
569 Posts
Please see this website to properly align your headlight.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

I've also heard... I think with the horzontal or vertical aim that if you turn it TOO much it won't go back. Don't exactly remember where I heard it from or read it from.

Thanks,
Steve
ASPTuning

·
Registered
38 Posts
It is really simple my friend.
It is obvious that your driver side headlight has to be lowered and moved a lot to the right.
The passenger side headlight could be raised just a little to meet the driver side half way.:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts