BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Like some of the other posts i've seen, my check engine soon light has come on while I was driving. It would turn off after a couple of days to come back a few days later. I went to Autozone to get the code. P2237, funny thing is the list of cars Autozone gave me for the code didn't include BMW. I tried googling it and this is what i got

P2237-O2 Sensor Positive Current Circuit/Open (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

I am not very familiar with car parts so any information you can provide to help is much appreciated.

I bought the car used. 2004 330ci (with AC Schizter Exhaust tip if that has anything to do with it)

Thanks Alot!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Your exhaust tip is the problem, OEM ftw!

No, it sounds like a very common fail O2 sensor has failed. Pretty easy DIY, as I believe it's one of the pre-cat sensors. Search the DIY forum for directions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey jpr,

nope no typo, the code was P2237. Autozone gave me a list of possible problems for the different car makes(besides bmw of course), and most of them are mentioning Rear AF sensor as possible problems.

thanks for the response

·
Registered
276 Posts
it just turned off again today...most likely will turn back on again in a couple of days
i just had this code mysel....it was front oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 1

It is the front oxygen sensor undeer your hood, on the passenger side of the motor. I replaced it and it fixed the problem.

do not get the one form autozone the connector on it is not correct.

·
Is NOT A Mechanic
5,879 Posts
There is a difference between the codes that Autozone (or any store using OBDII readers) can detect and BMW Factory Diagnostic codes. Our cars keep two separate diagnostic logs - generic OBDII and BMW Factory.

The following text is from another post of mine - forgive the copy/paste, it covers the topic:

------------

Even the newest E46s are a couple years old now. As sensors start to fail, vacuum leaks develop, and other parts wear, your Service Engine Soon light may come on to warn you of these conditions. When this light comes on, some people panic, some ignore it, and some just try to guess at the possible cause. None of these options represent the right choice.

When your Service Engine Soon light illuminates, a fault code is generated. That fault code corresponds to a specific condition that your car's ECU is trying to warn you about. To read this code, mechanics and do-it-yourself owners use a scan tool.

What most BMW owners don't realize is that our cars generate TWO separate diagnostic codes. One set is created and logged by the OBDII (On Board Diagnostics, generation II) system. The OBDII system uses government mandated and standardized codes that correspond to emissions related faults. Every make of car produced after 1996 has this system with identical codes. Using a generic OBDII reader, you or your mechanic can read these codes. Additionally, most auto parts stores will offer a free scan and reset using these generic tools.

Your BMW also generates codes that are based on BMW-specific, factory programmed parameters. These codes may not directly correspond to the generic OBDII faults. The BMW factory diagnostic codes typically offer a more specific, and often more accurate description of the fault detected by the car's ECU. Having the BMW code can save time and money by avoiding a vague or misleading diagnosis.

Generic OBDII tools DO NOT read these codes. Your dealer or BMW specialized shop can. With the proper tool, you can too.

Scan tools from Peake Research are the only INDUSTRY STANDARD, hand-held BMW-Specific readers available to the do-it-yourselfer. For the cost of what most service centers will charge for a one-time diagnostic service, you can own one of these tools.

Bimmertools is your NUMBER ONE source for these tools. We stock the complete selection, offer them well below MSRP, and ship them for free (domestic, ground only).

Currently, tools are available for BMWs produced from '87-'03. Coming very soon, the tool to read '03-'06 cars will be released.

Selecting the proper tool is easy. Visit our diagnostic section - www.bmwscantools.com - and follow the selections based on model year.

Our Peake Engine Scan Tools normally retail for $149. Bimmertools Price - $139.95 SHIPPED.

Our Peake SRS Airbag Scan Tools normally retail for $120. Bimmertools Price - $120.00 SHIPPED.

All scan tools include necessary cables, code manual, and carrying case. The tools are very small, easily fitting in your glove box. Have it ready when you need it.

Please visit our site - www.bimmertools.com, or click on the photo below for more information. If you have any questions about compatibility, do not hesitate to contact us directly via our Concierge Form, or by email - [email protected].

Ken

·
Registered
276 Posts
out of couriosity if obd read this

"P2237-O2 Sensor Positive Current Circuit/Open (Bank 1 Sensor 1)"

that was a pretty straight forward, what eles would the bmw tool tell you? what is the differance

·
Is NOT A Mechanic
5,879 Posts
out of couriosity if obd read this

"P2237-O2 Sensor Positive Current Circuit/Open (Bank 1 Sensor 1)"

that was a pretty straight forward, what eles would the bmw tool tell you? what is the differance
As mentioned, some BMW codes will overlap with generic OBDII codes, but some do not. Some faults generated by the factory diagnostic system will use the 'closest' OBDII "P" code. Some faults will simply not be read by an OBDII tool. This is why BMW techs and dealers don't use OBDII to diagnose. Grated, their scanners are much more sophisticated and can probe individual sensors that the Peake tool cannot.

Regarding the specific code quoted, I can't say what a Peake tool would have read instead. However, I did my own experiment on my 323i using a generic OBDII tool and a Peake tool. The definitions with the Peake tool were clearly more direct.

This is the link to my write up detailing that comparison:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=490834

Ken

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just had this code mysel....it was front oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 1

It is the front oxygen sensor undeer your hood, on the passenger side of the motor. I replaced it and it fixed the problem.

do not get the one form autozone the connector on it is not correct.

Where did you buy yours from and how much?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
your car is not that old,
if you're under 80k miles, it should still be covered under emissions warranty
look into it...
Thanks for the advice, i'll look into it. my car only has 29,500 miles on it. but the warranty is already up... didn't know the emissions warranty had different guidelines

·
Registered
30 Posts
after reading this post i would like to know too if the sensor is cover . I have a 2001 330ci with abt 71k ... and my cars shows ingine light wich says something abt maintance soon .. and a mechanic told me that i have to change my two sensor that is abt time ..... the bank 1 and 2 wich he said are the oxygen ones .... thanks if someone can help me pls ....:bow:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
All emissions equipment - cats, O2 sensors, etc. - are covered by a separate 8 year, 80K mile warranty. It's not BMW being nice, it's the law. Thank Congress for passing it. :str8pimpi

·
Registered
30 Posts
ok so i just wanted to understand and make sure ..... so i can take bmw 330ci with 71k to the dealer and ask them to change my sensors ....and i shouldnt get charge anything ... is that right what im reading .... thanks again ... i just not well informed abt this and thats why im asking and i do apeciate your help

Eddie:hmm:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
ok so i just wanted to understand and make sure ..... so i can take bmw 330ci with 71k to the dealer and ask them to change my sensors ....and i shouldnt get charge anything ... is that right what im reading .... thanks again ... i just not well informed abt this and thats why im asking and i do apeciate your help

Eddie:hmm:
Eddie, that's what the U.S. law sez. Check manuals that came with the car. You'll see that there are 2 separate warrantees - 1 for the car (4y/50Kmiles) and 1 for the emissions equipment (8y/80Kmiles). :str8pimpi

1 - 20 of 20 Posts