BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 325i (M54 Engine)
VIN: KL84043

Approximately 7 days ago engine started running very roughly and by using my OBD Fusion/VeePeak Bluetooth Adapter I started returning the following codes P1351 Misfire cylinder 5 with fuel cut off and also from time to time getting a P 1347 Misfire cylinder 3 with fuel cut off. We've done the following changes:

New Valve Cover Gasket
New coil packs
New Fuel Injector Cylinder 5
6 brand-new spark plugs

A compression test was done and showing 150+

Smoke test was conducted and we could see no evidence of any vacuum leaks

A new fuel pump was installed approximately 6 months ago

I am strongly starting to suspect that it may be the engine ignition module wiring harness that is bad or possibly even the computer.

Can anybody shed any light or tell me what else we could try at this point? No matter how many times I reset the error codes the P 1351 error continues to come back. Car runs a lot better at 75 mph than it does at 15 miles an hour. At slow speeds there is hardly any power at all.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,464 Posts
What led you to replace the injector?
How old are the MAF and the precat O2 sensors?
What brand fuel pump? Have you tested fuel pressure?
Do you know the fuel trims at idle and cruising RPM?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well after a full day of ELIMINATING everything else we could I finally took out the DME computer and took a little closer look at the circuit board:

I do believe we have discovered the problem!
IMG_4416.JPEG

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have already pulled a DME MS45.1 from a 2004 325i (M54). I have a K+DCAN USB Cable but does anyone know where I can download a copy of the INPA software and how to synchronize or Align a BMW ECU DME to the EWS CAS security system ISN? I think I can get this resolved myself if I can get some direction.

Note: The small CD you see that says BMW Drivers is not the INPA software I need.

Thanks,

Mark
IMG_4429.JPEG 62197875287__57BAB382-BCC8-4248-9333-711455BAE82F.JPG

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,409 Posts
Well done finding the problem! We have seen that a few times over the years.
I would first try to repair your DME, that is cheapest and easiest.

None of the BMW Standard Tools software (INPA, etc.) can reprogram a used MS45.1 DME to work with your EWS.
You have to find someone to either program that DME with EWS delete, or virginize it and clone it from your DME’s software.

As for installing BMW Standard Tools software, hit the link in my sig.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well done finding the problem! We have seen that a few times over the years.
I would first try to repair your DME, that is cheapest and easiest.

None of the BMW Standard Tools software (INPA, etc.) can reprogram a used MS45.1 DME to work with your EWS.
You have to find someone to either program that DME with EWS delete, or virginize it and clone it from your DME’s software.

As for installing BMW Standard Tools software, hit the link in my sig.
So I've been thinking a little further on this and what If I was to go back and pull the Immobilizer unit from under the dash as well is the other unit that sits next to the DME computer from the donor and then I would have all 3 components from the same car. I do own an AK90+ key programmer and I was wondering if I could reprogram my 2 existing keys to the 3 components that I would have from the donor car. Would that work? Another idea I had was that as you saw on the computer from yesterday the #5 chip was burned. I wonder if I could remove the #5 chip from the donor unit and solder it back down to the original unit, would that possibly work? I know I'm grasping at straws here but after reading what you told me yesterday I have my doubts on whether I could just clone another computer. Also I found out last night the computer out of my car is a DME MS43 and the donor computer is a DME MS45.1 which I am already told will not work. Any ideas? I'm willing to pay someone to help me at this point.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,409 Posts
Ok, so your car is pre-03/2003 and therefore has the MS43 DME, which makes this much easier to reprogram a used MS43 DME to your car with EWS delete. Check out ms4x.net for the details.

An MS45.1 DME won’t work in your car without a major electronics retrofit, so forget that.

Keep in mind that the DME/EWS/keys/locks are all a matched set to eachother and the VIN. Yes, if you swap all it will work, but the caveat is you could only buy a genuine BMW replacement key if you can provide proof of owership of the donor car.

I would first try to repair your DME as that is easiest and cheapest. If that doesn’t work, then buy a used MS43 DME and mod it with EWS delete.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
I’d replace the bad part, which happens to be a metal oxide substrate field effect transistor (MOSFET). They are used when the current flow is high and rapid switching (on-off-on) is needed. The DME has them for the injectors and the coils. Go to www.mouser.com to find a replacement. Mouser sells everything electronic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts