E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 325Ci. Car was running great, made the mistake of noticing. Stopped for groceries, restarted, and rough idle with engine light. One code:

P1351 Cylinder 5 Misfire with Fuel Cutoff

Swapped coils, no change. Pulled the plug (see pic)
Hand Household hardware Finger Thumb Nickel

Replaced! (will do them all this weekend)

·
Registered
2001 330xi
958 Posts
That's actually still in the interval. Supposedly 60k-100k miles replacement interval. Maybe you have some other engine stuff going on that made the sparkplugs be full of oily crud. Bad CCV maybe / burning oil?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's actually still in the interval. Supposedly 60k-100k miles replacement interval. Maybe you have some other engine stuff going on that made the sparkplugs be full of oily crud. Bad CCV maybe / burning oil?
That is a lot of crap on the plug. I would check that your dipstick tube drain channels are not clogged
Before they were replaced I had already had a CCV issue where it failed completely and oil was sucked into the intake (thought the engine blew on that one) so the intake wasn’t pristine clean for sure, even though I had removed it and cleaned the best I could.

The miles on those plugs may actually be more now that I look at it…Could actually be over 100K miles. the car was on blocks for close to two years (couldn’t decide if a transmission replacement was worth it) until I got brave enough to fix the transmission myself so there’s a lapse in my records. The last plug change may have been when I did the intake, and that was 140Kish miles ago.

Odometer at 250000 now!

Thank you for the suggestions though, definitely looking into that as my LTFTs are slowly creeping up again so I’ll be replacing the CCV parts when I refresh all the soft vacuum-related parts again. The dipstick tube (updated model) is clear.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the US!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts