E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
423 Posts
I just did mines today.
Wow, what a job. I think I took 8hrs and I did not remove the manifold. If I had remove the manifold I think I would have gotten the CVV on easier. :tsk:
Putting on the hoses were a PITA. I pushed some in so hard until they clicked. I am disappointed at where BMW located this item when it needs to be replaced this frequently. :thumbdwn:

I guess I could say I belong to the CVV DIY club :thumbup:.
My problem where the vacuum line become so soft from the oil and heat that it just broke off. The car started to misfire and knock due to the fact that the vacuum hose was disconnected.

Here are some pics if it helps others to get a better view of the job.

DISA removed showing the electrical box. That box was a PITA, it was always in the way.

Top of the engine, where the cabin filter is located. I replaced the little hose there too. There is one right beneath the manifold that i did not get access to. I will have to do that in the future.

Old CVV

Dipstick bolt removed. During installation, I did not get the dipstick to go all the way in, I can still see the rubber grommet after I tried so hard to push it in. Can somone tell me if this is normal? :facepalm:

Power steering reservoir pushed to the right. Looking from the front. Wires are labelled for easy reference on assembly

I can now go and pat myself on the back cuz no-one will do it :woot:

· Registered
423 Posts
It is normal. The O-ring just sits on top of the opening in the oil pan. I went ahead and put some silicone all around the top of the o-ring to prevent any seepage but I think that was a bit unnecessary. I was just tired of all the oil leaks to the point where after I went in to fix everything, I never want to see an oil leak again. :idea:
So I guess I will have to check for leaks :(.

Seems like a design flaw to me

· Registered
423 Posts
The very reason why I siliconed it! :D

When you begin poking more around in the engine compartment you will see more design flaws. :shhh:
I see alot of flaws already :D

When I removed the dipstick I did not see a grommet, I dont now if I dropped it or what. But I end up going to the dealership to pay $5 for a grommet. I should have just go to a hardware store w/ my dipstick and find any rubber grommet for it. It would have just cost me a few cents. :tsk:

· Registered
423 Posts
RockerGuy, In the various oil separator/CVV threads that I've read, most people have a hard time reinstalling the dipstick tube and O-ring. If you are completely sure that the old O-ring is out of its seat in the oil pan, you might try one of these methods for getting it back together correctly:

• "Insert the oil dipstick O-ring onto the base of the guide tube before installation. Before fully inserting the guide tube to the engine port, tuck in the O-ring into its chamber and then fully seat the guide tube." (This method seems more likely to work best.)
• You could also try putting the O-ring into its spot in the oil pan first, then pushing the well-lubed dipstick tube in last.

Also, I am curious as to which of your hoses broke in the first place. Was it the same one I described in the beginning of this thread (ie, the one from the oil separator to the dipstick tube), or was it a different one for you?
The dipstick is not leaking actually. I removed my driver's side front wheel this weekend and I could see clearly where the dipstick is sitting. I Put my finger there and did not see anything.

My fault were the small vacuum hose that runs from the CVV to the top of the manifold where the injectors are. My question is, my cold weather CVV come plugged for that little vacuum hole. I removed the plug and installed the small hose. I wonder if the plugged hole is an improved version or I am supposed to install it as I saw it in the 1st place?

· Registered
423 Posts
Excuse my late replies...

RockerGuy, you've probably already resolved this, but if it were me, I would do as your gut feeling told you to do: remove the plug as you mentioned and hook up all your hoses to the CVV as normal. All the realoem diagrams show all hoses connected (unless you're talking about a hose that is not on realoem).

daonlydann, replacing hose #4 is extremely easy, so you have nothing to lose by trying that simple replacement first. I wouldn't take out the oil dip stick tube though (I never did), so that you can avoid the grommet problems that people have when they remove it.
Thanks for the reply.
I have a check engine light on now, the codes say it might be an evaporative valve. I will wait till spring to get it resolved. I hope its not one of the hoses that slipped off

· Registered
423 Posts
I tried to replace this hose today without removing the throttle, etc. and found it extremely difficult to get my hand in a position where I could compress the clip that holds the hose onto the CVV to remove it. I detached the power steering tank in order to move the ps hose out of the way and give me more room to access the bottom of the CVV, but it is so far under the intake manifold and there is so little room to manuever in order to put my hand in the correct position to pinch and release the clamp that I just gave up for now. I think I am going to have to remove the throttle in order to do this job. Is there an easier way to get the hose off the CVV?
Why not remove the throttle? It would save you tons of pain

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.