E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have been trying to solve this issue for a few days, reading the Bentley manual and scowering through forums but have not crashed in to a solution. The car in question, a 2000 330xi wagon, automatic, has been sitting for five weeks, started every second week. Now, at the latest start, the instrument cluster went nuts. Tacho didnt work, temp gauge was pegged in hot, obc was dark and abs, dsc, and handbrake lights were lit. We decided to read the obd2 codes, and it showed p0600, serial communication link malfunction. I read about it, and found a few solutions which i have tried, with no luck; cleaning out the ecu connectors, restarting the ecu by unplugging the battery, checking visible sensor connectors , wires and i checked all fuses, none were damaged. Then i decided to replace the battery, which brought the obc to life and now i can see that my transmission is in failsafe mode too. What else can i try before i take it to a technician and pay myself sick? Im open to every trick in the book!!

·
Premium Member
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L, 2.8L and 2.0L Z3's
1,874 Posts
P0600, 217 (Dec), CAN bus error -EGS Signal not present

Check the automatic transmission computer connections. Look for contaminates (oil) and make sure that they are clean and connecting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tcm connections were clean. I did get some clarity though. We got the car moving today, and first after a ecm reset the car was fine for five minutes. Then the issue came back and i was able to pull codes p0313, p0174, p0171 and the p0600. This would suggest that the connection issue is to either the maf sensor or one of the o2 sensors. Are any of those easy to break, or are there some other things im missing?

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
Your 2000 330ix will have a 3 wire MAF. It is the later cars with the 5 wire MAF that cam have the auto go into limp mode for a faulty MAF. Not your car.

You have 2 problems to solve:
1) Lean codes and misfires. See this thread: Fuel trims, lean codes, misfires and how to diagnose
2) P0600. Time to get a scanner with BMW software and read the trouble codes in the automatic transmission computer (EGS). BMW standard tools is cheap to set up. How to Install BMW Standard Tools

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, have to start looking in to these in the morning. Thanks for helping this far, lets see how deep in to my bmw this problem takes me. I think i got the wrong idea from somewhere that the p0600 could be caused by many things connected to the ecm, including different sensors not giving readings so i thought the two problems could be somehow connected. I also read earlier that the p0600 causes trans to go limp mode? Could that be true or have i been getting this wrong all along that it is actually only the egs that causes that code?

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
Limp mode is caused by the EGS. Do you have the "gear !" light up? If you are in limp mode, then this light should be up and there will be trouble codes stored in the EGS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright so thats what you meant. New BMW owner and quite a fresh driver too, so havent been DIY:ing that much yet, and some things go over my head. So yeah, the tranny is def in limp mode, cog with a ! in the middle is up and the gearbox changes a bit slowly. Will have to check those egs codes as soon as i get my hands on the hardware required to read them.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
11,300 Posts
Just something to keep in mind. The EGS and DME work together. Sometimes a DME fault can trigger a EGS fault.

Scan, see what comes back, and we'll help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, thats what i was thinking because my earlier googling always led back to something connected to the dme having a issue or the dme it self having an issue—> egs having an issue. But i will be sourcing my self a k+dcan cable first thing in the morning and will be reporting back with what i find! (And if i have to order one online, i will keep checking other things i find while waiting for delivery)

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
8,045 Posts
Anything aftermarket electrical?
The p0313 and p0171/4 are explained in the link above. The comms issue could be low voltage (battery, alternator) or something messing up communication with the ike/cluster.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Battery voltage has been tested, battery was a bit low, swapped for fresh one, didnt help. With the car running, the battery stays at above 14 and with load on it goes to around 14 flat so my guess would be that the alternator works too. There is an aux install done by someone before i bought the car, looks a bit dodgy and plays music only in the right half of the car. Could that cause an issue? Nothing else aftermarket on the car, as far as i have checked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, another day another post. Decided to invest in to a dcan cable, and while waiting for delivery have been checking out other things in the car. Decided to plug out the battery and let the car sit for a while, to clear the limp mode etc. and see what happens. The issue has now went away, except for the lean codes which i will be sorting out, checking the disa, intake boots, vacuum leaks, ccv and fuel system and hopefully sort this out! When i get the cable i will be checking all the systems in the car to hopefully find the root cause of the p0600 and limp mode. Lets just hope it was a ghost in the system caused by the car sitting for so long and it doesnt come back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.