BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im having the exact same problem. I keep clearing codes and on the second start after clearing them the code comes right back. I have checked fuse 36, replaced secondary smog pump and relay and still no pump noise at cold start. Somebody told me to clean the MAF sensor. I did and still same code. Im wonderin the same thing, what pulls in salmon relay?? Any help is apreciated!!! This little light is bugging the hell out of me! lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hmm, sounds like were on the same road with diagnostics, and that light bugs me too. I'm going to dig into electrical schematics and see if I can determine what state of things are necessary to close that relay.
However, I noticed that if I idle a long time, my temp creeps up. I don't think that my electric cooling fan is coming on either and I wonder if they're related...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I notice my temp stays just below dead center recently. I was wondering if it was related as well. I did get a coolant low temp code too but cleared it and it hasnt came back. I may need a new thermostat.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yea, that sounds like a thermostat, not an electrical problem, and I had the low coolant thing happen too. Turned out to be the sensor in the bottom of the coolant tank, a $20 part and supper easy to replace -after you take the plastic cover off from under the motor. I'm told that it is the exact same sensor that is in the widshield washer tank. Still scratching my head about the P0414 thing...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well I found my P0414 problem. I didn't get the electric valve (#5 in the diagram) plugged back in after my head gasket job. I could be mad at myself after replacing the relay, but I was so happy to solve the problem that I'm good. At least I didn't take it to a shop...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Found my problem. I didn't plug in the electric connector to valve #5. I'm happy about that, now I need to see why my cooling fan won't trurn on.

I've been told that it is the fan, or probably the controller that is built into it, and that I need to replace the whole assembly.

No codes or check engine light though. I tried to jumper power and gnd to it but nothing happened.

Also, my A/C doesn't seem to get cold either, I wonder if the engineers at BMW have made it so the A/C won't work if your fan goes bad...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Awesome! Where is the plug located? My p0414 popped up after my engine swap. Maybe the mechanic did plug it back in. Fingrrs crossed

·
Registered
57 Posts
The valve is a little electric vacuum switch hanging under the back corner of the intake manifold on a little rubber hanger. I removed my cabin air filter tray assembly, then noticed that the guard shroud around the brake master cylinder area is removable be taking out two little 1/4 turn knobs. After removing that I could see the plug that I forgot to plug in, and with a little german yoga was able to get it plug it into the valve and volla, no more P0414. :)

Yes, my A/C pump engages, it just doesn't get very cold, and my cooling fan never seem to turn on either, so I ordered a new one from Pellican parts. Hope I made the correct guess...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well would you lookie there, mine was unplugged too! P0414 gone! The guy that did my engine work didnt plug it in either. Thanks for the brain storming Robbie!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah, only bad thing is all the money its cost me in a new secondary pump, relay, and wasted hours on top of the $1500 install on top of the $2500 engine. Im just glad we finally got it. Now i have to get the stat changed and there will be NO more engine light. lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
I know this is an old post but was just reading about this code and i did get an engine swap. I did everything and this seemed like my last bet. So i decided to check to see if the mechanic didnt connect the piece to #5. I took off the cabin air filter and removed the brake gaurd, will it be obvious if the piece is not connected? It looked like everything was in place but not sure if im looking for the right thing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
57 Posts
So you get the P0414 code, and you have a good 50 amp fuse, and know the relay is ok ? -You can jumper power to the air pump and turn it on so you know it is ok ??

It's been awhile, but the switch is hanging under the back side of the air plenum/manifold and is hard to spot even if you remove the guards around the brake master cylinder area etc. Just follow the vac line to it and maybe a mirror and as much light as you can throw on the subject without the light itself obstructing your view.

You would more easily notice that there would be a connector without a home in that area. That is easier to see than the switch it plugs into.

The switch is mounted in a rubber hanger that slips over a sheet metal bracket to hang it under the manifold.

You should also check that the vacuum line to the valve on the front of the head is ok, and you can follow the vac line all the way to the switch under the manifold to confirm you're looking at the right thing.

Good luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ha ha success, this makes me regret going to my mechanic even more in the first place. It ended up being the same thing!! Good thing i only spent $8 on the relay. I guess the lesson learned is always double check, I took it to him and he said it was the "computer" and got really upset that i was telling him he forgot to plug it in and refused to even look there. Decided to take a look for the 3rd time and finally found the vacuum control switch and what do you know, the cable is not plugged in. Yay finally no more engine light!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here a picture of the control valve the is located behind the intake manifold. The picture was taken from the drivers side near the brake cylinder

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BimmerApp mobile app

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
P0414 Code after removing and replacing intake manifold

I had this code P0414 come on after replacing the coolant pipes along the block under the manifold.
Solved it by finding an electrical plug not plugged in.

Its at the back end of the intake manifold, nearest the driver, under the manifold. Its a little black vacuum switching unit with one electrical plug and several little vacuum hoses going to it. You don't have to remove the manifold to access it, but you do have to remove the cabin air filter housing and maybe use a little mirror to see under there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m getting a similar problem, I have the p0414 code, and in the cold morning I also get some misfires. Would these be related? My coils are also getting old....

21 - 40 of 40 Posts