BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to have the car smoke tested but I figured I would ask here for the usual suspects for this code. Maybe I can find it without spending 100 bucks.

The scenario is that the car is new to me. I had a warm motor and pulled out on the road and nailed it. The car accelerated as usual for a second or two and then It felt like I had a miss while under load. As soon as I started driving normal It was like it went away.

I hit it again and this time the miss was instant. Now its there anytime I try to put a decent load on the car. Under normal driving its almost un noticeable.

Any ideas on what could have done this?
Valve cover?
Vanos?
Vacuum leak? (Where)
Bad O2?
Old spark plugs?
Dirty MAF?

Iv only driven the car for a few weeks in total since I got it back in March and I don't have alot of history on maintenance other then the car fax which is mostly on time oil changes. To make the process more difficult this is my first BMW so I don't have a lot of history working on them

I appreciate any help,

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sprayed carb cleaner all around the engine near the usual suspects. nothing. Pulled oil cap and I don't have huge vacuum there so I'm eliminating things but no clue as to what it is.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,094 Posts
I sprayed carb cleaner all around the engine near the usual suspects. nothing. Pulled oil cap and I don't have huge vacuum there so I'm eliminating things but no clue as to what it is.
That doesn***8217;t work for finding vacuum leaks on these cars. You need a smoke test, as already mentioned. The lack of strong vacuum at the oil filler cap points to vacuum leaks. Hit the smoke test link below and get to work.

·
Registered
10,018 Posts
BEFORE YOU SPEND A DIME....

Take the MAF off and set it aside, IGNORE it.
Now, the MAF connects to a duct that's 3 inches around, whatever. Take the duct off of the throttle body.
Inspect the duct for cracks. ANY cracks.

You are interested in the version of Items 4 & 8 as they apply to your car (back out to Select Another Car and input the last 7 digits of your VIN), then go to FUEL PREPARATION. You might find that yours are okay, but before you spend a few hundred dollars for crap you don't need, you can do a visual inspection of these items and very likely cure that which ails you. (My '94 E36 had cracks in my versions of Item 8, and cured my problems after a couple of cans of fuel system cleaner an inspection from my mechanic ($120 for smog tests, $120 for the mechanic inspection, a couple of cans of magic juice at $25 each, and plugs and boots for $120). I fixed my car for a $20 duct. Don't be me.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=FA13-USA-08-2005-E53-BMW-X5_30i&diagId=13_0903

1 - 6 of 6 Posts