BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so my gfs car was throwing the p0015 code for the camshaft position sensor, intake side [we looked on here and the one is said was intake side] so we replaced the sensor and cleared the code. [The car is an 02 BMW 330i]. Today, the SES light came back on so she took the car to Advanced Auto to get scanned and now its throwing the same code it threw before we replaced the sensor.

Code reads:

P0015
Camshaft Position
Actuator B- Bank 1
Timing over- Retard

The idle drops a lot when stopped [most of the time lower than 500 rpms] and very frequently the car shuts off. Could this be a problem with the Vanos or camshaft position sensor exhaust side or a faulty one that we replaced on the intake side?

·
Registered
73 Posts
my code is p1397 which is camshaft position sensor exhaust side b, i took it out and cleaned it, put it back on and there was no service light, later after about 20 miles the service engine light came back one, so idk try taking it off and cleaning it, and where did u buy it from? because the after marker ones dont last to long, the dealership ones (OEM) are the best tho.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cleaning will not do anything, they work off magnets.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Did you use an OEM sensor, or aftermarket? If aftermarket (JL Germany, Febi, etc.), then you bought a crap sensor.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
P0015 is exhaust timing over retarded. Take a look at this list. A is intake, B is exhaust.
http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes

If you bought an aftermarket intake CPS sensor, take it off and put back the original OEM.

P0015 is an unusual code.
Use a mirror and flashlight to check the exhaust CPS sensor for a BMW logo. If you don't have a BMW logo then you have an aftermarket CPS sensor. These don't work and can cause your problem.
Has the engine timing been disturbed? If the timing is set wrong it could cause your problem.
Take off the vanos exhaust solenoid with a 32mm deep socket. Remove the solenoid piston underneath the solenoid. Clean the piston and piston cavity with brake cleaner.
If none of this works then it can be the vanos seals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts