BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to keep this relatively short:

After last summer I stored my 2003 M3 over the winter in the garage (not my daily anymore, actually trying to sell it but kind of dragging my feet). I stupidly didn't drive it nearly enough over the winter though, and after ~2-mo break ran into issues on a warm-up drive:

Check engine light came on during hard acceleration and engine immediately felt terrible and ran rough. Car felt very bogged down and wouldn't rev well at all with throttle input. Checked codes and had a P0013 (exhaust cam circuit) and P0301 (cylinder 1 misfire). Cleared codes and car will start up fine but has same rough idle / vibration that feels like misfiring, and same codes get thrown within minutes of starting.

After some digging, I am suspecting a faulty VANOS solenoid may be the issue, and am going to try the Besian refurb to see if that fixes the problem.

If anyone has had a similar problem though I would love to hear your thoughts and experience.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'd be inclined to guess at fuel pump or bad fuel.

I'll try to keep this relatively short:

After last summer I stored my 2003 M3 over the winter in the garage (not my daily anymore, actually trying to sell it but kind of dragging my feet). I stupidly didn't drive it nearly enough over the winter though, and after ~2-mo break ran into issues on a warm-up drive:

Check engine light came on during hard acceleration and engine immediately felt terrible and ran rough. Car felt very bogged down and wouldn't rev well at all with throttle input. Checked codes and had a P0013 (exhaust cam circuit) and P0301 (cylinder 1 misfire). Cleared codes and car will start up fine but has same rough idle / vibration that feels like misfiring, and same codes get thrown within minutes of starting.

After some digging, I am suspecting a faulty VANOS solenoid may be the issue, and am going to try the Besian refurb to see if that fixes the problem.

If anyone has had a similar problem though I would love to hear your thoughts and experience.
Just my $.02.

·
Registered
87 Posts
P013 could be solenoid but the misfire is most likely a bad coil or plug. Could be bad fuel. Start with swapping cylinder 1 and 2 plugs and coils and see if the misfire changes to number 2

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Also take care of the misfire first worry about the cam code after. Could just be from the misfire

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, forgot I posted on here, thanks for the responses so far. As an update I did finally get around to replace the VANOS solenoid recently and it does not appear to have fixed the problem. Still getting misfire on cylinder #1.

I should probably test the spark plug / coil swap to see if that is the problem, as that also seems like something I could manage myself, but at this point I may just take it to a shop to be done with it. Do you think there is any concern about driving it for short distances / lower speeds to get it to the shop if it is misfiring or should I get a tow?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK further update because I realized it wouldn't take much time to do this:

Per the recommendations here I swapped out spark plugs (not coils) between cylinder 1 & 2 to try to isolate the problem, cleared codes and ran the engine until fault code popped: P0301 (so still on cylinder 1).

Next, I also swapped out the coil packs between 1 & 2, cleared codes and repeated the check: now got codes P0302, P0301,and P0300, so fault did now appear on cylinder 2, however other misfire codes also popped. Engine still felt the same as before, noticeable rough running/vibration at idle.

At first glance, this seems to suggest I try replacing the faulty coil pack before doing anything else, although does anyone else know if there is another way to test coil pack for failure, say using a multimeter?

And could the cylinder 1 and random misfire codes I saw after swapping have just been because ECU was still remembering the previous misfire on 1, and not because it was misfiring on both cylinders at the same time? Like I said, engine didn't feel any worse after the coil swap so I am leaning towards the former but I have no idea how this works.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, forgot I posted on here, thanks for the responses so far. As an update I did finally get around to replace the VANOS solenoid recently and it does not appear to have fixed the problem. Still getting misfire on cylinder #1.
Just to clarify, I am still getting misfires, but have not seen the P0013 cam code since replacing VANOS solenoid.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
double check that "bad" coil: move it from #2 to #6 and see of the misfire now moves to 6. If it does then replace it with a new good coil.
No, it's not reliable to check ignition coil with multi-meter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yep, so turns out that was the issue. Swapped in a new ignition coil and car runs great again. Also replaced spark plugs while I was at it.

FYI I will be auctioning this car on carsandbids.com sometime in the next couple of weeks in case anyone's interested :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts