BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our "snow season" in my part of Canada is generally from February through mid-April. Because our early winter months are typically fairly dry, I'm still driving my '03 M3 on the stock 18" with about-to-retired P-Zeroes. Needless to say, this isn't really a robust combo for driving in anything other than bone-dry. Yes, I've been caught driving in a bit of slush and it made for some truly, ehh, exciting driving.

Since I have a new set of 19s ready to be mounted come summer, I'd like to keep my stock 18" for winter and thus I'm looking for suggestions on sizing. I'd prefer to go with slightly narrower tires if possible.

I suspect that I won't get a great deal of use out of dedicated winters (I drive less than 4K miles annually), so I'm not going to go too high end. One option would be the Hankook Icebears, but the sizing is somewhat oddball in 18". Would 225/40-18 in the front and 235/40-18 in the rear work, or is that too much of a stretch for the 8.5" rear?

Second option would be the LM-22. Any help/comments would be appreciated; I've searched the forum a bit for winter combos similar to this but haven't gotten very far.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got the Dunlop Winter Sport M3s in OEM sizes (225 front 255 rear) on OEM 18" wheels...here in Calgary we alternate all winter between bone dry roads and all out winter/ice conditions. Great thing about the Dunlops is they are much better in the dry than the Blizzaks. Staying with the wider sizes hasn't been a problem at all...with traction control on it'll go anywhere any other car can go; with TC off it's a blast.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard great things about the Dunlops as well, the problem is that they're more than double the cost of the Hankooks. It's not that I mind paying for better tires, it's just that I don't expect to get more than 8 or 9 winter driving days a year out of them and thus I can't justify the cost. I'd sooner put the cash I save towards coilovers :D

I think I'll probably just go with their 225/40 in the front and 255/35 in the rear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, Semperit seems to have their share of fans. Finding them might be a problem, though. I usually go with 1010 Tires, unless I can find what I'm looking for locally at roughly the same price. Do these even come in 18"?

·
Banned
1,194 Posts
never seen the need for winter tires or the big hype we get alot of snow here in the Niagara Falls/Buffalo area to. Just slow down your driving speeds?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts