·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Hi there. Welcome.
I wouldn't be surprised that this law will be enforced. I'm not sure what the WA laws are atm, but these new proposed law for WA are old for some other states already so i'd say it will happen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there. Welcome.
I wouldn't be surprised that this law will be enforced. I'm not sure what the WA laws are atm, but these new proposed law for WA are old for some other states already so i'd say it will happen.
At the moment in WA a P-plater can drive whatever he/she fancies. How long ago did the eastern states get this?

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
At the moment in WA a P-plater can drive whatever he/she fancies. How long ago did the eastern states get this?
P-platers got laws enforced years ago, can't even remember them not being in place.
In Vic the power to weight ratio is already the old laws for p-platers, instead we are not allowed to drive v8 and charged cars and also some cars which are deemed too powerful.
It's just a matter of time that there will be laws for p-platers throughout the country

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Vic has had a power-to-weight ratio (in various forms) from the 80's or early 90's, it's been through several iterations since it was initially implemented.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
in NSW, if you already had your p's and owned the car (being V8 or forced induction), you were allowed to continue to drive it. the restrictions will only apply to people who get their licence after the laws change

·
Registered
508 Posts
The blanket 8 cylinder or more / FI restrictions in QLD are a bit of a shame tbh. I was not allowed to drive my grandfather's E34 530i because it was a dangerous high performance vehicle what with its slushbox, 1.8 tonnes and walnut dash, yet my E30 318i with its bull in a china shop wet weather handling is considered safe.

I'd rather see P platers in their parents' Merc E/S or BMW 5/7 with traction control and driver aids than in a clapped out E30 with an open diff and bald tyres.

Further to that, I'm under no illusions that I'm a great driver, which is why the world is better off with me in my E46, with good brakes, neutral handling, and the DSC firmly in the on position.

·
Registered
186 Posts
well, young people brought it on themselves.. I know when i was P plater 8 years ago i was doing lots of stupid things as well.

Problem is that youngsters get their licence soo easy, that they don't appreciate it at all.
If they spend 8 months studying to get their drivers licence like in Europe, there would be far less laws agains young people, simple as that...

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
^^ +1

I don't have issues with power restrictions for P platers, as i'm sure most of us former P platers would know that most of us did quite a few stupid things back in our youth. Not saying that by banning high powered cars is the perfect solution, but its a good start.

·
Registered
508 Posts
DSC on? :eeps:
Wet weather + E30 + open diff + bald Tyres + manual transmission = deep appreciation for DSC's ability to keep the driver breathing.

If anything, restricting P platers to vehicles that have ABS brakes, traction control, and electronic stability control would do a fair bit more than limiting power output. High end German tanks are safe, that's what tech does, on the other hand those fscking "Great Wall" things along with Proton Jumbucks, and every other POS car with rubbish handling and safety features omitted is asking for trouble, gutlessness not withstanding.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Wet weather + E30 + open diff + bald Tyres + manual transmission = deep appreciation for DSC's ability to keep the driver breathing.

If anything, restricting P platers to vehicles that have ABS brakes, traction control, and electronic stability control would do a fair bit more than limiting power output. High end German tanks are safe, that's what tech does, on the other hand those fscking "Great Wall" things along with Proton Jumbucks, and every other POS car with rubbish handling and safety features omitted is asking for trouble, gutlessness not withstanding.
sorry i just have to say something there..

while i know what ur sayng, i think its good for drivers to learn how to use brakes properly..
I learnt on a non abs car how to brake without locking up, in an emergency situation..
and i actually had to use it last week,

but then this goes back to ur initial point of greater driver training

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.