E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Interesting, but if anything there will be cars which will be exempt from the rule such as the golf and ford in the article, rather than lifting the ban as a whole. Similar to being allowed to drive turbo diesel cars. They will never lift the turbo ban completely.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Interesting, but if anything there will be cars which will be exempt from the rule such as the golf and ford in the article, rather than lifting the ban as a whole. Similar to being allowed to drive turbo diesel cars. They will never lift the turbo ban completely.
They will if they replace it with a power to weight ratio ban. I remember when QLD first implemented these rules literally months before I got my P's. I always used a similar example to that of the one in the article Mitch has linked to, A P-plater couldn't drive a golf with a tiny 4cyl engine and a tiny turbo but could drive the sporty version with a reasonably sized 6cyl under the hood. It was pure ridiculous but at the same time, it was they easiest rule to enforce.

It's much harder to communicate, educate and enforce a rule that is based on power to weight ratio. You also need more readily available information on every car. We all know there is Redbook but Redbook is a privately owned company. The government can't say you have to have a car with X power to Y ratio, go check Redbook.

The only issue I see with the above article is that they are proposing manufacturers install a plate stating the power to weight ratio. This either means that all cars that have already been manufactured wont have the plate and therefore can't be driven. The alternative is they have mechanics amend these plates to used cars but like roadworthy certificates, there will be so many dodgey ways around that.

Interestingly that article refers to 130kw per tonne. By my calcs an e93 comes in at 129.6kw per tonne. So all loaded and smart p-platers are going to be driving (read: hooning) around in procede chipped e93 335s!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Gotta love how it took an Australian assembled turbocharged petrol car, to cause a rethink of these laws.

So whats the real agenda here? Have the authorities ever really given a damn about P-plate safety or is boosting the sales of aussie made cars more important?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Gotta love how it took an Australian assembled turbocharged petrol car, to cause a rethink of these laws.

So whats the real agenda here? Have the authorities ever really given a damn about P-plate safety or is boosting the sales of aussie made cars more important?
They'll never admit to this... even though it's 100% accurate I reckon.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts

I'm not sold this is the reason. How many p-platers do you see purchasing brand new cars?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Its funny that this has occurred as someone who is soon to gain there P's after many years of waiting i have faced the challenge of finding an acceptable car thats legal. As much as i would like my M sport E46 funds dont look that great and this is why i have consider the next best thing a Mini cooper S. According to vicroads an application is required and i can not apply until i am 18 and have my P's. But with the new notice they have posted on there website of the PMR (power to mass ratio) it has me questioning if i could go get the car i want now.. (Declan could you clarify having the mechanic write up the PMR as dont think the cooper will have it) I'm planning to make a decent call to vicroads tomorrow to clarify this with them. Personally i find that having this rule of prohibited cars can effect the car market prices and make those with prohibited cars take the loss. Either way i think the power to weight is a better way to go then the list of banned cars.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
doesn't mean you can drive powerful turbo cars
vicroads website states:::

Note: To clarify some recent reports, VicRoads has not lifted the ban on P Platers driving turbo cars. It has only been lifted for turbo powered vehicles with a power-to-mass ratio of less than 130 kilowatts per tonne, and the manufacturer has placed the power-to-mass ratio on the build plate.
then lower

drivers issued with a probationary licence on or after 1 July 2007 may (upon receiving an exemption) drive some lower performance turbocharged or supercharged vehicles. The definition of a lower performance turbocharged or supercharged vehicle is a vehicle with 6 cylinders or less that is:
turbocharged or supercharged with a power to weight ratio of less than 100kW per tonne
turbocharged or supercharged with a power to weight ratio between 100kW and 125kW per tonne and that is considered to be a family type vehicle (4 seats or more) rather than a sports type vehicle. A family type vehicle is a sedan, station wagon or hatch normally used to carry families/passengers with 4 or more seats and are equipped with child restraint anchorages. A family type vehicle does not include a sports car (two door coupe).

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
What I think would be interesting is that rather than the performance indicators of HWP being how many tickets they give during a period.. they look at the change in fatal accidents on the road as a proportion of licence holders.
SO looking at the change in the fatality/licence holders ratio.

I'd love to see how HWP go about policing, with that in mind.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Its funny that this has occurred as someone who is soon to gain there P's after many years of waiting i have faced the challenge of finding an acceptable car thats legal. As much as i would like my M sport E46 funds dont look that great and this is why i have consider the next best thing a Mini cooper S. According to vicroads an application is required and i can not apply until i am 18 and have my P's. But with the new notice they have posted on there website of the PMR (power to mass ratio) it has me questioning if i could go get the car i want now.. (Declan could you clarify having the mechanic write up the PMR as dont think the cooper will have it) I'm planning to make a decent call to vicroads tomorrow to clarify this with them. Personally i find that having this rule of prohibited cars can effect the car market prices and make those with prohibited cars take the loss. Either way i think the power to weight is a better way to go then the list of banned cars.
I was just stating my opinion on the only ways I could see it being enforced based on the article. No idea how they will actually enforce it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
But if you revert to the old rules this new enforcement makes no difference to the current available cars ... Bloody vicroads the computer operator gives me the shits I'll see what they say tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Thats true, im 26 and still havent bought a car brand new. Good point Declan, but you gotta wonder why its the ecoboost falcon which has become the turning point for the authorities.
I'd say it's more a coincidence. There have been some states talking about power to weight ratio type rules for ages. There has also been some states who have released lists of acceptable low powered turbo cars. E.g pretty much all the Smart cars.

Probably just a way of plugging the new Falcoon.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well I know Queensland has tried to fix their rules a little, we are now allowed 210kw, which means we can drive newer cars such as the rav 4 (remeber the ad said 200 kilowasps) the old rules didnt allow that but now we can, if the turbo thing gets through it will be the exemption thing like the cappicino or those small engined cars that need the turbo to perfom like a normal car. Of course this entire time p platers are able to drive a prosche boxter which is 195kw in a light convertible rear engine porsche body, pretty ironic how we cant drive supras,the new rav 4 or the golf gti but can drive the boxter.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Well I know Queensland has tried to fix their rules a little, we are now allowed 210kw, which means we can drive newer cars such as the rav 4 (remeber the ad said 200 kilowasps) the old rules didnt allow that but now we can, if the turbo thing gets through it will be the exemption thing like the cappicino or those small engined cars that need the turbo to perfom like a normal car. Of course this entire time p platers are able to drive a prosche boxter which is 195kw in a light convertible rear engine porsche body, pretty ironic how we cant drive supras,the new rav 4 or the golf gti but can drive the boxter.
I always liked the irony between not being able to drive the Golf GTi but being able to drive it's more powerful brother the R32!

It's always going to be a flawed system until they implement power to weight ratio. It's the only metric which covers all bases, but it's had and most likely costly to implement, educate and enforce.

Even then you'll have those cars that just fit under the power to weight ratio figure like the e93 335i but that are capable of producing much more power with mods that are so indiscreet (tunes, intake etc.) the cops will never be able to charge anyone for having them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Even then you'll have those cars that just fit under the power to weight ratio figure like the e93 335i but that are capable of producing much more power with mods that are so indiscreet (tunes, intake etc.) the cops will never be able to charge anyone for having them.
Whats the limit on power to weight? And with the current law, its less than 210kw when brand new, says nothing about upgrades that increase power. Silly p plate laws

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.