BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Been reading the forums for a while now and lots of good information here helped out a lot. Just bought a 330ci convertible 2001 and lovin every minute of my life at the moment :excited: haha

2 questions though i can't find answers for anywhere...

Do our Aussie spec 2001 BMW's have boosted steering like the US? I'm coming from an older E36 318 and the steering feels a hundred times lighter now, it seriously feels like i'm floating on the road.

Also, can anyone tell me what diff ratio i have? Would like to get around 3.4 but not sure what diff would be able to fit??

Thanks again maties :hi:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
not sure on steering, as for the diff, if you have a manual, get the diff from an auto 330, or even better auto 325 ( 3.38, 3.46 ) if you have an auto its not really worth changing as you already have a 3.38, but you could go up to a z4 or X3 diff.

Congrats on the vert, i just got mine also and im lovin it !

·
Registered
83 Posts
the e46's have two different steering pumps. one is perfectly weighted with great feedback, the other feels light and somewhat vague.

this was done due to complaints of heavy steering. it's also not something age specific on the car. some cars have light steering, others do not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link.. I have a manual so i'll be looking for the 330 auto or 325 diff's. Can't wait to feel the difference, gear ratio's are definitely too tall in stock form.

As for the boosted steering, i'm kinda getting used to it so i'll have to make do with what i have. Think it will be too much trouble trying to get it the way i want.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
guys try bavarian autosport or motors i think it is in Gladesville, and also beemw

both workshops are very experienced and a wealth of knowledge in beemers

cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts