BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice on how to loosen my oil pan bolt. Seems that last time I changed my oil, I tightened it a bit too much and now im unable to loosen it. My dad told me that the heat and cold can cause the bolt to expand and tighten in even more. Any suggestions to loosen it up? Maybe heating it up?

·
Registered
26,262 Posts
Longer handle on wrench; more wheaties.

Fire around oil pan? I'm thinking that's a really, really bad idea.

Try a little test first...pour some oil on the driveway away from house, ignite it with a torch if you can. If it ignites, please videotape yourself doing a tre-flip over the flames and post vid here.

If it doesn't ignite, then still, I think it's a really, really bad idea...more torque, slowly applied in the right direction! And, wouldn't surprise me if you forgot to add the crush washer...but be careful...hollow bolt...has been cracked by others...so make sure you're on the bolt fully...and don't use a long extension at all...to ensure you're seated fully. Me? I'd use 1/2" breaker bar and then add pipe section to it if needed...I have a section of 1 1/4 steel pipe that fits perfectly over my breaker bar...so could get quite a bit of torque if needed...and you'll only need it for one or two cranks down, I'd think...but go slow and steady.

HTH

Doug

·
Registered
370 Posts
Longer handle on wrench; more wheaties.

Fire around oil pan? I'm thinking that's a really, really bad idea.
i believe me meant that his father was saying by the car heating up while driving, and then cooling while off, it causes the bolt to naturally tighten up.

otherwise OP, find yourself a cheater bar/breaker bar. if you dont have a pipe at home, i've found electrical conduit (hardware store) to be helpful, or buy a pipe (again, hardware store). Ease into the loosening, don't just go right for it. Odds are you'll hear a crack/snap when its loosened. have fun

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Breaker bar will pwn that bolt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts