BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Correct me if I'm wrong. I need to refresh my memory....

Higher height to the rear (comparing with the front) on a RWD car

= more oversteering? or the other way around? :dunno: :dunno:

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
This is an analogy a senior driver at our local auto-x club used...

Imagine you and your friend holding up a piece of board. Your friend is in front holding the board in the middle (vertically) and you are behind holding the board from the bottom. As you two run forward and make a turn, there will be more imbalance on your side (the rear). This explains why the rear end will lose traction sooner and leads to oversteer.

From a physics point of view there's also more lateral weight transfer in the rear as well as a higher roll center.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I thought less weight in front meant understeer since there is no weight in front and they get no traction. Am I right???

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
M3PinoyDriver said:
I thought less weight in front meant understeer since there is no weight in front and they get no traction. Am I right???
Nose heavy cars tend to understeer and tail heavy cars tend to oversteer. The heavier end of the car will overload the tires before the lighter end in a turn. The heavier end also carries more forward momentum and will resist turning more.

Don't think of it in terms of the weight pushing down on the tires gaining traction. If that were the case the heaviest trucks would handle the best!

·
Law Enforcer
2,406 Posts
Jspeed: Great info bro! Kinda helps enlighten on automotive physics.

RandyL: Did you get your cornerweight done yet? And If I'm correct, you had your rears at 4 and fronts at 6 (or 7?). Did they change any of that when it was cornerweighted?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Weight provides the grip to a certain extent.... after that any extra weight works against the grip of the tire.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Yup, cars w/ a rear weight bias tend to gravitate towards oversteer - generally considered less "safe" (there are very few cars w/ a heavier rear weight distribution) but more fun.

The E46 has a 50/50 weight distribution, which theoretically provides more neutral steering & thus a good compromise between over & understeer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts