E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a thought if anything comes up but I had problems with my 330i as the viscous coupling had given up, so fan not spinning correctly!

Scoot

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
You should check the coolant level every time before you drive the car when its cold. If it starts to drop, you've still got a problem.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
One more question, is it ok to use that red line liquid treatment for the cooling system in these type of cars?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I wouldnt bother. A properly maintained system with BMW coolant should be fine. Better to spend your time monitoring the level. Set the level so the tip of the float is even with the top of the tank neck.

·
Registered
2002 330i 5 Speed
208 Posts
Make sure to read post #50 for bleeding the coolant properly.
It is always recommended to replace hose 8 when you have the intake off bc it is a pain to get to it. (if you have never replaced it)
Glad you got it fixed now.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Ok thank you. I think the fact that my previous mechanic silicon-ed the #8 pipe caused issues because he kept thinking it was another pipe or something else.

The issue also was that you really couldn't tell since the water was evaporating. But there was a noise, like how a pipe leaks water in heat type noise. I thought it was the engine, thus when I drove to the 2nd mechanic location, and stopped for him to look at it, it was making that noise and it helped him pinpoint it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Interesting. Well I'm glad its solved. One more question. Another mechanic was telling me that the area in the engine where the coolant flows in is a small hole or something. He said it gets clogged over time in some cases and when that happens, you have to replace the engine. Is this true?

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
If the car heats up when in stop-and-go traffic -- traffic stoppage on the freeway -- then returns to normal when the car is going again, this is classic failure of the fan clutch (viscous couple). There is sufficient airflow through the radiator when the car is moving at more than about 25 mph so the fan clutch allows the fan to spin freely (sorta) so that there is no gasoline used to force it to turn. When the car slows, the airflow through the radiator decreases and the temperature rises, there is a filling inside of the fan clutch that expands due to the heat rise and locks the fan to the serpentine belt to physically pull air through the radiator. Over the years, the viscous material (jelly) breaks down and fails to force the fan to spin when the car is moving too slowly to force the air to flow. A test for the viscous couple is to bring the car up to full operating temperature, then with the engine on, open the hood and wearing gloves use a folded rag to slowly drag the fan to a stop, then spin the fan in the opposite direction that it wants to go. It should stop going backwards very quickly -- perhaps a half or a whole revolution. If the fan goes in the wrong direction multiple rotations, then the viscous couple has died.

Please be careful when you put your hands into the area of a moving fan.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
5,380 Posts
One more question, is it ok to use that red line liquid treatment for the cooling system in these type of cars?
Redline "Water Wetter".
Is a product that helps track cars with cooling systems that are running/taxing the cooling systems very hard. Also one does NOT run any coolant when at the track.

Water wetter is a surfactant that helps water (cooling system liquids) better adhere to the metal parts that they pass by/through. By doing so, heat extrapolation is aided.

Also many fire departments have 55 gallon drums of 'Wet Water" to aid with various types of small fires and also used by air drop firefighting aircraft. To aid the dropped water and/or chemical better adhere to the foliage.

Not really needed in a street car. Save your money and apply to better oil.

·
Registered
2002 330i 5 Speed
208 Posts
Another mechanic was telling me that the area in the engine where the coolant flows in is a small hole or something. He said it gets clogged over time in some cases and when that happens, you have to replace the engine. Is this true?
I have never heard of this. And I don't think it would lead to engine damage.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I have never heard of this. And I don't think it would lead to engine damage.
I think someone posted a picture a while ago showing a partially blocked hole. Perhaps in a plastic pipe outlet. Running BMW coolant might help to prevent such things. An overheated engine can lead to engine damage, but there are other things I'd check first.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts