E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I called an experienced BMW tech and he said that the area where the coolant is going to the engine is probably clogged. He said that the problem is the engine now because of this issue.

I am going to have the coolant flushed and swapped. I hope this solves the problem. As it stands now the temperature gauge goes a little bit to the right then returns, but it does this regularly. I am worried it will go to the red.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
5,380 Posts
The term "coolant flush" is a bit of a misnomer. From the days of a young factory trained tech, to today. It's remove both drain plugs. Cap back off and renew coolant.

Almost no one uses a powered flushing machine anymore. If there's a blockage, you'll need to find it and then possibly remove said hose to clear it out.
Last thing you want to do is move it someplace else.

Literally "Kicking the can down the road."

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Did the water pump get changed?
The term "coolant flush" is a bit of a misnomer. From the days of a young factory trained tech, to today. It's remove both drain plugs. Cap back off and renew coolant.

Almost no one uses a powered flushing machine anymore. If there's a blockage, you'll need to find it and then possibly remove said hose to clear it out.
Last thing you want to do is move it someplace else.

Literally "Kicking the can down the road."
Exactly. You risk moving ths blockage somewhere else, if that actually is the issue.
There have been reports of finding rad seal goop in bad places, but that was usually found by removing the blocked part (eg thermostat).
I'd ask for more details on his diagnosis.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It does seem like the water/coolant is low, I keep filling it up, but now after only 10 minutes the car overheats.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Find out where the water is going. when you say filling it up, to what level?
I wouldn't be driving it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Find out where the water is going. when you say filling it up, to what level?
I wouldn't be driving it.
I'm filling it to the max level. And still having issues. The car is ok when I start it, then after 10 minutes it starts to overheat and I put more water in it.

Strange, could it be a malfunctioning water pump?

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
It does seem like the water/coolant is low, I keep filling it up, but now after only 10 minutes the car overheats.

Any ideas?
When it started to overheat, can you grab the radiator lower hose with your hand and tell us if you can hold it tight in your hand for 3 minutes without pain? This will help to point you to the right root cause.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm filling it to the max level. And still having issues. The car is ok when I start it, then after 10 minutes it starts to overheat and I put more water in it.

Did the mechanic confirm that the water pump is working? Did you replace the temperature sensors? At 200k miles, I would do a overhaul in your coolant system: new radiator + expansion tank, hoses, temperature sensors, and water pump. Do this every 100k miles, most mechanic charge $500-600 to replace provided you have the parts.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts

See post 2 and 27.
You prob have more than one issue. The first and most important is finding where the coolant is going. It is either leaking out or, worse case, getting into the engine. You need to look closely for fluid or white splatters, on the driver's side of the engine and across the front on all the cooling components. Report back.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
When it started to overheat, can you grab the radiator lower hose with your hand and tell us if you can hold it tight in your hand for 3 minutes without pain? This will help to point you to the right root cause.
I'd be concerned about the car going into red during that 3 minutes.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Maybe 3 minutes is unnecessarily long. So just 1 minutes when the needle starts moving pass the 12 o'clock.

·
Registered
53 Posts
See post 2 and 27.
You prob have more than one issue. The first and most important is finding where the coolant is going. It is either leaking out or, worse case, getting into the engine. You need to look closely for fluid or white splatters, on the driver's side of the engine and across the front on all the cooling components. Report back.
If it's leaking in the engine then he should be seeing white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe and lingers in the air for quite some time.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts