E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my fellow BMW owners.

My 2000 bmw 323ci is having some overheating issues.
All the following have been replaced.
Radiator
Thermostat
Engine Cooling Hose - Near bottom of car.

Now the temperature gauge goes near red, then goes back to the middle consistently. My heater also does not work. Or takes a long time to start working.

My mechanic said the next step is the fan rlay.

Any advice?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Hi my fellow BMW owners.

Radiator
Thermostat

Now the temperature gauge goes near red, then goes back to the middle consistently. My heater also does not work. Or takes a long time to start working.

Any advice?

Thank you.
Water pump replaced?
Could also not be bled properly.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
When engine at operating temp or hotter, with bare hand hold on the radiator lower hose (new hose so don't worry it's dirty) and see how long before you cry. If not hot then there is no coolant flow in radiator, not the fan.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Verify that you’re actually overheating by using the hidden menu in the cluster. My gauge was acting up, moving to red very quickly (warning light never came on), but the cluster temp was a steady 96*C. I had no overheating problem.

·
Registered
11,380 Posts
How many miles on the car? The consensus here and on other bimmer forums is that the cooling system needs to be overhauled every 100k miles. That includes:
  • water pump (Saleri)
  • thermostat (Whaler)
  • expansion tank (Modine)
  • expansion tank bracket
  • upper and lower radiator hoses (optional)
  • radiator (optional; Nissens or Behr)
  • engine block coolant drain plug crush washer
  • BMW coolant
  • distilled water.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Hi my fellow BMW owners.

Radiator
Thermostat

Any advice?

Thank you.
Air lock. Bleed it. Google E46 coolant bleeding DIY.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I've had somewhat of the same concerns. After a couple of bleed attempts. And the heat would cooperate only to the minimum.I've switched fuses and the like. I've concluded that my 06 e83 problem is the heater control valve.
Car runs fine and has done a couple of 4 hour round trips with the temp needle staying at 12 o'clock.
Now weather temps are rising in my area where the need for interior heating is null.
I'll change out the valve at my convenience at this point.
I will run my car...it won't run me!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I've had somewhat of the same concerns. After a couple of bleed attempts. And the heat would cooperate only to the minimum.I've switched fuses and the like. I've concluded that my 06 e83 problem is the heater control valve.
Car runs fine and has done a couple of 4 hour round trips with the temp needle staying at 12 o'clock.
Now weather temps are rising in my area where the need for interior heating is null.
I'll change out the valve at my convenience at this point.
I will run my car...it won't run me!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
When you have concerns about your coolant temperature you should not be guided by the guage. You need to use the display OBD functions to display the temperature on the console. If you are not familair with your display's OBD function Google the subject and find a YouTube video on how to set them. The one you need to set it to is 19 / 7. This is what the temperature display looks like when you set 19 / 7. You can see here that the temperature is 87C. You have to do the setting with the key in position 2 or when the car is started. After you turn the ignition off you have to repeat. It takes about a minute but if you are worrying about you coolant temp it's a minute well spent.

Attachments

·
the people’s mod
2004 330Ci 115k miles
15,542 Posts
Where is the fan relay? I don’t think the stock car has a relay.
He probably means the fan speed controller, what I think is called the final stage unit.
It’s what usually goes bad on the electric radiator fans.
Another case where a non-functioning electric fan caused an overheat (calling @MrMCar...tee hee).

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Past few days the temperature indicator went to the right a little, then returned back to the middle after driving for a little time.

I put some coolant in, not sure why it keeps doing this?

Any thoughts?

Thanks bros.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts