E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
11,961 Posts
The bleeder screw was a bit mangled and steam was pouring out.

my question is what would cause this? Presuming I didn't destroy the engine, I would like to repair it, so I will replace the upper radiator hose.

could it have been overfilling or bad bleeding?
The bleeder screw is leaking and this is the main issue. There are other potential cause for the overheating, such as bad bleeding, but over filled does not cause overheating. Was the red light turned on on the temp gauge? If yes then it's a serious problem if head is cracked.

Btw, there is no need to tighten the bleeder too hard; stop turning whenever the o-ring is below the hole rim.

· Premium Member
11,961 Posts
It was 100% damaged by the heat - it had plastic filaments around the opening. That is not to say that the tech didn't introduce the leak, either by cross-threading or not tightening, but the steam definitely compromised the plastic:
No need to see the pic with all the steam and smoke as these cause the bleeder part out of focus. If you still have the hose, post a good focused pic of it. The steam is not hotter than the coolant, and the hose was design for this and so I don't think it was melted by the hot steam.

· Premium Member
11,961 Posts
The top of the bleeder screw opening was degraded and there was a mixture of granular and filament plastic adhering around the opening.
See it to believe it.
I don't understand why the hot steam coolant that melted the bleeder but didn't melt the same plastic on the tank connection port in the same pic. Why? They should be at the same temperature.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts