E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... To make a long story short,

What would be the cause of my car overheating only at idle? If Im moving... lets say 15+ mph theres not a problem and temp gauge will return to normal operating temp...If I stop at a light in 20 sec in will start to get warm again.

What would be the main part in my cooling system that would need to be replaced? Im guessing its the fan...especially because I didn't hear it turn on...

Also Not really a big deal but my Heat has been blowing cold lately...It doesn't really bother me and I was just curious if the two problems were related.

I have a 2001 325i and its a 5-speed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Also I do not have any leaks.

·
Sienna Red Coupe
6,479 Posts
Right off the bat it sounds like a waterpump issue. Though it could also be your thermostat as well. Since these parts go hand-in-hand it's not a bad idea to replace both in the same sitting. Have you tried topping off and bleeding the system?

·
Registered
855 Posts
if it doesnt overheat at idle or on the freeway, might not be waterpump. my guess would be a fan issue (not kicking in, or going too slow). The no-heat situation is probably a thermostat stuck open. id recommend a full cooling system overhaul.. pump, thermostat, coolant flush.

Another possibility is that the head gasket is failing, do you lose any coolant?

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
so I assume you have a manual with the electric fan which might not be working. check if its turning on.
mine turns on at idle even in 37F weather and mines automatic with the mechanical fan.

·
Registered
855 Posts
check your fuses and relays. im assuming you have an electric fan like my 328Ci does... but my M3 has a viscous fan clutch, so im not sure what 01 330s have.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts