E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've searched the archives.

Has anyone as a "Ceritified Pre-owned" purchaser of a 2001 325 had a steering rack replaced under the "overboosted" or "light steering" replacement program? Anyone had one replaced recently? Some say only original owner. Others say only 330's. I've seen posts where '01 325's were replaceed.

I know this is a couple years old, but I need some recent experieces to use as ammo when I go up against the Customer Service folks. I formally complained to the dealer yesterday, and the guy said he couldn't find anyone who knew what I was talking about.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a crapshoot. Each person tells you something different. THAT's why I came here first. I will launch my assault on BMWNA after I get input from this great forum.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Only 01 models are affected, 325 & 330.

Old (99, 00 models; pre-June 00 build)- the best

Retrofit (01 models only, post Apr-01 builds don't qualify) - the 2nd best

New-new (post Apr-01 build) - the 2nd worst

New (June-Dec 00 build, some Jan-Apr 01 build) - the worst (aka boosted steering)

Find out your build date, & you'll know which one you have. The ones that qualify for the retrofit were built from June-Dec 00, & some from Jan-Apr 01.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My build date is Oct or Nov '00. Are you saying my '01 325 qualifies? Some "customer service" reps told me only 330's qualify. How do I get them to go along?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
NSXBill said:
My build date is Oct or Nov '00. Are you saying my '01 325 qualifies? Some "customer service" reps told me only 330's qualify. How do I get them to go along?
Yes, it qualifies. 325 AND 330 qualify, contact BMW NA & tell them what the customer service reps say (they're lying). BMW NA should sort it out (hopefully) otherwise go to another dealer.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The customer service reps are AT BMW NA. They don't seem to have their story straight. MY dealer didn't even know what I was talking about, but that's OK. I need back-up.

ALSO, as I said, I'm not the original owner. But I did buy a Certified Pre-owned 325 Sport Package because I was lead to believe that a BMW didn't have steering like a GM.

ANYONE able to get steering replaced when they were not the original owner??

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've called 1-800-831-1117 twice, talked to two different people who both said they were only offering the replacement to 330's.:ben: :banghead:

Now what? Punt?

·
Registered
382 Posts
NSXBill said:
I've called 1-800-831-1117 twice, talked to two different people who both said they were only offering the replacement to 330's.:ben: :banghead:

Now what? Punt?
They approved but then stalled on my upgrade for months. Finally, when I refused to hang up the phone after numerous calls asking "what's up", they put me through to the woman who was in charge of it, and she's like "oh, did you still want that done?"
It was done 10 days later.
Persistance, but not rudeness, paid off.
It's much better, imo.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When was this? Was it an 01 325? What was your Mfg date? Were you the original owner? Do you have this woman's name?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts