E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving back from Vegas today my cars temp was hot. It got to a point where it was on the red side with the light on but no smoke coming out. So i pull over at a state line and get some coolant. I wait to poor the coolant since its hot and then later on again near Fontana my temp is hot again and i do the same procedure. Gonna call my service advisor to schedule an appointment.

Any clue on what this can be? I had already replaced the sensor during the summer time since I had a service engine soon light come on and they told me it was a faulty sensor..

TIA

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here you go buddy boy:
TSB#: 640701
issued: DEC 01
Recall: Engine Auxiliary Cooling Fan Replacement

Happend to me while i was driving to Munich. BMW'll fix it under warranty...and try to fight them for an extended warranty on your engine...good luck guy!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Engine shouldnt overheat if you're crusing at highway speeds and the aux. fan is not working. Do you know if your AC was blowing cold?

Only thing I can think of is that you either had a coolant leak, faulty water pump, or a blown headgasket.

I am glad to hear that you pulled over when it was overheating and to not continue driving. Thats when the car needs a completely new engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.