E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
My fuel pump did funny things like this without throwing out any error codes. I replaced the pump and that fixed the issue. I also think the fuel level sender is part of the fuel pump, at least it is on my M3. I was also having weird gas readings which also self corrected with the new pump.

· Registered
20 Posts
The pump has never been changed and the car is 21 years old and has driven 200.000KM. Guess it's time anyway, so let's give it a shot. Do I just need number 1 on this image? I see number 2 (Left fuel level sensor) and it seems like a different part. Not sure what I need:

View attachment 965211
I bought the geniune bmw pump from Turner motorsport and it came with everything you need to change. Make sure that the fuel line clicks on before you go driving around, ask me how I know. Use a rubber mallet and a small pry bar to gently tap the ring loose. I hit mine with kroil before I tried to remove, let it sit and it came off easilly. You do not want to break the threaded part of the tank where the sealing collar screws in. That's a new tank if that happens.

· Registered
20 Posts
I do not think you need to change anything but the pump assembly, such as the left sensor. I forgot to mention, the fuel pump change is best with as little gas in the tank as possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts