BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I live north of Boston. It rained biblically up here over the weekend 4 full days of the heaviest rain and winds I had ever seen up here.

On my way into work Monday morning I was cruising in the fast lane (approx 60mph) on 128 south just passed the North Shore Mall and *SLAM*

I nailed a pothole the size of Rhode Island which just looked like a puddle. The pot hole shot my car right and I went up the jersey barrier which did its job and shot me down and off of it (I thought I was going to launch into the northbound lane) and then across the 2 lanes and into the guardrail on the other side (the road bottlenecks right here and the highway is BARELY 2 lanes)

Fast forward a bit and the cars in the tow yard, 3 flat tires and the last one looking like its on its way... scrapes and scratches along both sides... mirrors off... front bumper split in two, corners and side markers busted up and just about every piece of trim missing or hanging by a thread. Surprisingly no "major" dents or panels bashed in, but I'm DEFINTIELY worried about the undercarriage.

Fast forward AGAIN... appraiser calls and says the car is repairable, when i spoke to the insurance company they said the appraiser goes out and looks at the outside to appraise the damage doesn't look at the suspension or anything underneath the shop will look at the underneath and call the appraiser back out if they find more hidden damage.

I haven't seen the appraisal yet but I know the price was $4200.

So now I am waiting to hear from them and get the car from the tow yard to a shop to get everything else checked out. Here's where I can use your help,

What should I be making sure the shop is looking for?

Obviously I want every piece of that suspension checked and double checked... I had a couple of flats but when I was moving the car off the road it was shimmying and shaking and doing all sorts of nasty things. I know these cars have a sub frame issue... but I'll be honest I don't really know what that is... should I have them check that? What about other drive train things?

I got bashed around out there pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
First I'd like to say OUCH:yikes::yikes::yikes: Sorry to hear that you had to go through this!

If this happened to me what I would do is the following...

- Have your car taken to a good BMW shop so they will know what to look
for. Try to be at the shop when they inspect your car so that you can go
over everything with the shop mechanic. There's several guys here on this
forum who can help you there (regarding shop recommendations)....they are
more familiar with the Boston area and could recommend a good reliable
BMW shop for you to have your car taken to.

- Inspect all suspension components:
- Steering rack
- Control arms
- Shocks/springs
- mounts (engine, Front subframe, rear subframe)
- inspect weld points on the car where your shocks mount to. Make sure
they aren't torn or ripped.

- drivetrain components

- any leaks from the following areas:
- transmission seals
- power steering system
- differential housing
- oil pan

- You mentioned undercarriage damage....
- if you take your car to a BMW shop then you can ask them to inspect
your rear subframe for any damage (they will know what to inspect
there) as a result of your accident...

I might be forgetting something and I'm sure there will be others who will make additional comments. I hope I have covered the basics to start off of but this is what I would begin with. I hope this helps and GL:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
time to upgrade the wheels to 18's or 19s, mtec II bumpers and clear corners with R/C/R tails and oh you need a sport cup kit too!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Sorry for the unfortunate incident. At this point definitely do what was stated above me. This is a good time to speak with the city and have them reimburse you for this accident. I'm pretty sure this works in all states but just verify with yours. Last time my buddy hit a pothole it bent his rim and messed up his bumper. He brought the case up to CALTRANS, California department of transportation, and stated that due their negligence in repairing the roads his vehicle was damaged. CALTRANS promptly paid for his damages after their own adjusters took a look at it. He got his rim repaired and a free VCSL bumper.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Sorry to hear you was in an accident. From the pictures, it looks totally fixable. I think a reputable repair shop would know what to check for. I doubt they will give you your car back shaking and shimmying terribly...Good luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cak323i- thanks... the type of list I was looking for.

pinoybmr3- If the shop goes through everything and it is repairable (if I get this back I want it perfect.. I didn't buy a BMW to get back a car that feels like an accord) I plan on moving up to clears and I'd love and Mtec bumper... as for the 19s defintiely not in new england... MAYBE an 18 but more realistically at least move up to 17s. All our pot holes aren't this size but we have a TON of them up here and my commute to work takes me down some pretty gnarly roads so while they look slick too large a rim upgrade isn't realistic.

smokenfly- Massachusetts is weird like that.. while you can "sue" towns you can't "sue" the state (or so I've heard) so since it was on 128 which is a state road I wont get reimbursed. I will check into it though. Thanks

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Anytime:thanks: If you have any other questions just PM me...GL!!!

I hate potholes too....we have many here in Rhode Island...:D

As for "upgrades" I'd go with 18's and def clears....this will be a great time to swap out your "yellows" for clears...:D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wb- You don't even know! Usually you can avoid them but when its raining they just fill with wter and look like a little puddle then whack!

Just got off the phone withthe autobody place (friend of the family) that I was going to send the car too... started going over the list cak sent me and he said he got the estimte and thinks I should send the car directly to BMW... I appreciate his honesty in saying "you know what I lvoe your family and will always help them out but I don't do alot of BMW's and I'd suggest you go right tho the source who know exactly what to look for underneath the car"

Now Im nervous.

I LOVE my car!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
*Update*
the Body Shop I was going to take it to (family friend) looked at the appraisal and said "I'll be honest I don't do a lot of BMW's I think you should take it to a dealer" which I appreciated his honesty. Called BMW of Peabody (closest dealer) they were busy so I left a message with Service. I called back later and the girl who answered told me to have the car brought in for them to check out the undercarriage/suspension/subframe... this was just before 5 so as you can imagine I couldn't get anyone on the phone from the insurance company etc.

this morning Im on my way into work when I get a call from the guy at BMW Peabody that I left the message for I explained I had spoken to someone in his shop yesterday and explained what happened and HE told me to don't even bother sending it there to send it directly to the body shop they end all of their stuff too (you'd think I'd get the same response from every service department worker there... but this made much more sense to me) I called the body shop TODAYS in Malden and gave them all the info and they are contacting my insurance to get the car down to them. They didn't sound too hopeful... which again i appreciate the honesty... but even the thought of possibly losing my car has had me bummed out all day!

I'll keep you updated on what they find.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Good luck Art. I'm north of Boston too, and these last few days of rain have been insanity. Most of the roads I travel daily are still closed (seriously? it's like 2" of water and we've got roads closed).

Majorly sucks about your car though. I hate 128, and most of these awful northshore roads!

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Hey Art! Man I'm sorry to hear what's going on regarding your car!!!:banghead: I hope things will work out and the insurance company won't total your car:eeps:...keep us posted

·
Registered
719 Posts
That really stinks. I hit a pothole the other day in my car and bent my extremely strong rims in 2 places. Sounded like an explosion. Luckily it didn't blow out like yours because I would have had a similar experience.

·
Registered
893 Posts
That is not that bad. 3 new tires and put back the trim in place, find a junk yard sideview mirror and your back in business. But since you will use insurance:

Make sure you check the Tie Rods, Lower Control arms, and wheel bearings.

My car was in a slight accident, and they never replaced the LCA or Wheel bearings, both of which I am doing now.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I'd take it to Turner to get fixed. They're in your backyard and they're the best in the business. They're expensive, but with insurance footing the bill it's a no brainer. Good luck friend. :hi:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts