E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Loctite was used.. The first time they came loose we assumed someone used antisieze and not loctite. I'm not sure what bolts are in there. I'm not sure if the OsGiken kit comes with replacement bolt or you use your oem bolts. I'll have to check.

·
58mm of Bliss
4,025 Posts
The 330Ci and M3 use exactly the same flywheel bolts, and with my 330Ci they had to be replaced every time they were loosened.

One other issue I've seen is where bolts are over-torqued, and they are forced into plastic deformation resulting in the bolt coming loose. Once you stretch a metal, and it experiences plastic deformation, it does not return to it's original shape, and tensile strength is reduced.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 330Ci and M3 use exactly the same flywheel bolts, and with my 330Ci they had to be replaced every time they were loosened.

One other issue I've seen is where bolts are over-torqued, and they are forced into plastic deformation resulting in the bolt coming loose. Once you stretch a metal, and it experiences plastic deformation, it does not return to it's original shape, and tensile strength is reduced.
I'm thinking this is what likely happened as many know my tranny's and engine have been in and out of my car more than myself.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Almost always those bolts are one time use. None of the cars I've dealt with ever had Loctite or any sort of threadlocker or anti-seize on the threads either. I suppose some medium strength Loctite wouldn't hurt, but you should make sure it's capable of higher temperatures, since it will get as hot as whatever your oil temperature gets to.

Pay a lot of attention to making sure the threads are completely clean and dry, as well as free from any grit or burrs. The new bolts should thread in by finger all the way down. Also, try threading them all down without the flywheel to make sure they are not bottoming out or getting caught on anything near the bottom.

Still seems weird that would happen so quickly and easily.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What's interesting is how quickly the bolts backed out once they started making noise. I'd say that the time between me first noticing something and them backing out was less than 20mi.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Ohhhh... I thought you were talking about the big 8 bolts that hold the flywheel onto the crank...

Last time I put together a fidanza/uuc clutch, thread locker was called for on all the little screws and nuts. That seemed silly to me because of the possible temperatures, but I'm not going to dispute a manufacturer. Using high grade socket cap fasteners and all metal lock nuts would be my preference.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.