BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

841 - 860 of 877 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
This thread doesn't get much traffic anymore, so I don't think people will mind if I flood it with pictures of this install.

For the longest time I have been looking for a solution to solve my rear fender rubbing problem. Years ago I cut my fenders and for the most part the tires didn't rub unless I hit an aggressive dip in the road. Initially it didn't bother me much, but as I've gotten older I can't stand the rubbing noise anymore.

Several weeks ago I pulled the trigger and ordered some coupe fender flares from Hard Motorsports. They finally came in this Tuesday. The problem I had with ordering these fenders is that because they are so new, there aren't many pictures of them installed on coupes. I was only able to find installed pictures on two cars both of which were very blurry.

Here are several pictures from my install. I hope that this helps the e46 non-M coupe community. I may've gotten carried away with the amount of rivets I used... we'll see how the final install looks. For now I am pretty happy with the outcome. More importantly my tires no longer rub!

Disclaimer: This is by no means an install guide. This is merely the process I used when installing my flares on my car. I'm NOT responsible for your cars or the mistakes you make doing this to your cars.

Pictures!

The excitement was real.

Before, fenders were cut and flared.

Mock up:

Serious oh **** moment... Started cutting and had to take a break. Started freaking out because I past the point of no return.

Fitting:

Rivets:

My boy Murph for emotional support lol:

Looking good!

Paint!

I'll post more installed pics when I'm done.

·
Registered
153 Posts
This thread doesn't get much traffic anymore, so I don't think people will mind if I flood it with pictures of this install.

For the longest time I have been looking for a solution to solve my rear fender rubbing problem. Years ago I cut my fenders and for the most part the tires didn't rub unless I hit an aggressive dip in the road. Initially it didn't bother me much, but as I've gotten older I can't stand the rubbing noise anymore.

Several weeks ago I pulled the trigger and ordered some coupe fender flares from Hard Motorsports. They finally came in this Tuesday. The problem I had with ordering these fenders is that because they are so new, there aren't many pictures of them installed on coupes. I was only able to find installed pictures on two cars both of which were very blurry.

Here are several pictures from my install. I hope that this helps the e46 non-M coupe community. I may've gotten carried away with the amount of rivets I used... we'll see how the final install looks. For now I am pretty happy with the outcome. More importantly my tires no longer rub!

Disclaimer: This is by no means an install guide. This is merely the process I used when installing my flares on my car. I'm NOT responsible for your cars or the mistakes you make doing this to your cars.

Pictures!

The excitement was real.

Before, fenders were cut and flared.

Mock up:

Serious oh **** moment... Started cutting and had to take a break. Started freaking out because I past the point of no return.

Fitting:

Rivets:

My boy Murph for emotional support lol:

Looking good!

Paint!

I'll post more installed pics when I'm done.

A nice set of comp wheels would really set it off:thumbsup: Love the pup pic:D

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I am scheduled to pick up a 5 speed manual transmission from a 2002, 330Ci to swap into my automatic 325Ci. I just want to confirm that the transmission will fit my motor. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts

In the garage while until I source all the parts necessary to complete the manual transmission swap. My automatic transmission has been failing for a while now. Late last week it finally died.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts

The end of last year was pretty busy. I put some Hard Motorsport fender flares on my car, as can be seen from above. I thought that they would solve all of my rubbing issues. Shortly after the install I realized that my wheels still slightly rubbed. Extremely frustrating, but you live and you learn. I like how the Hard motorsports rear m3 flares give my car that "because racecar" look, but aside from that, I am not that impressed. They still don't seem as wide as the actual M3 rear fenders.

The last part of my mods for 2016 was swapping my cars transmission from automatic to manual. I cannot explain enough how much I LOVE this mod. It really makes me wish I would've just bought a manual years ago.

URL=http://s758.photobucket.com/user/tuscan1205/media/Snapbucket/50BE7F5E-22AB-429D-B96C-A0AE3CE77B5D.jpg.html]
[/URL]

I also replaced the rear wheel bearings. I am going to replace the fronts as soon as I get some free time. At the time my car had 146,000 miles and was vibrating and rattling a ton. The road noise was unbearable. I highly recommend replacing your wheel bearings if your mileage is similar to mine, and they haven't been done already.

The last thing that I did was remove my heavy ass subwoofer and replace it with the factory hk subwoofers. I really don't care about boomy bass anymore.

Plans for 2017...

OEM M3 rear fender swap/conversion **Parts will be in late this week or early next!**

Coilovers
Maintenance
Not sure what else, but I'll probably post it if I feel like it is worthy.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks great and keeps the posts coming to keep this thread active! I just changed my dead oil level sensor after 183,000 miles but no sense in posting a pic of that :)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
^Sweet! Nice progress. :thumbup:

You need a build thread for all this goodness.
Thanks sir!

I kind of have a build thread, but it isn't that good. I have a problem documenting everything that do. When I was working on the fenders, transmission, and just about every other mod I get focused on completing the task and don't really take a lot of pictures. It would be a good read though if I did have a journal that documented everything throughout the years.

Looks great and keeps the posts coming to keep this thread active! I just changed my dead oil level sensor after 183,000 miles but no sense in posting a pic of that :)
Thanks!

Yeah I'll continue to update this thread. When I first started modding my car years back this thread was inspiring. I'm trying to keep it alive with new stuff :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
S54 swap at some point?
Not likely. The car runs great as it is, and I'm having more than enough fun with the manual tranny.

Just buy an M3 man.
Don't really want one, it's too small and e46s are old. My car has too much sentimental value to sell. I'll eventually pick up a e550 or something. I just need something larger that has power, space, and doesn't need to be messed with. This car is has been and will probably continue to be my toy for some time because I don't feel bad about chopping it up or experimenting with new mods on it. My girlfriend says it's kind of like a grown mans legos.

If I sold this car today, I'd probably never mod a car again because it involves too much patience / time. No matter how hard you try the paint will never match up and there will be small things you'll know are wrong. I feel like M cars are perfect from the factory. Unfortunately after having owned this car and experiencing what it's like to own a BMW (and a low model at that) I've pretty much determined I'll probably never buy another one.

·
Registered
13,250 Posts
Not likely. The car runs great as it is, and I'm having more than enough fun with the manual tranny.

Don't really want one, it's too small and e46s are old. My car has too much sentimental value to sell. I'll eventually pick up a e550 or something. I just need something larger that has power, space, and doesn't need to be messed with. This car is has been and will probably continue to be my toy for some time because I don't feel bad about chopping it up or experimenting with new mods on it. My girlfriend says it's kind of like a grown mans legos.

If I sold this car today, I'd probably never mod a car again because it involves too much patience / time. No matter how hard you try the paint will never match up and there will be small things you'll know are wrong. I feel like M cars are perfect from the factory. Unfortunately after having owned this car and experiencing what it's like to own a BMW (and a low model at that) I've pretty much determined I'll probably never buy another one.

Hmmm I hear you on the chopping up part.

Yes BMWs are definitely a hobby car. I think I'll probably own another E46 in the future as a project car. They're excellent for that.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

841 - 860 of 877 Posts