E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Ordered car is custom down to every option.. but you have to wait.

Lot car: sits in sun and rain, get pressure washed probably won't have all the options you want, but you can drive away same day.

Price is usually about the same for both, options being equal.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
I got lucky, I got the car I wanted with the options I wanted and I didn't have to order, yet it wasn't exactly on the lot either. It was in route to being delivered to the dealership, so I was able to bargin a price as if it were on the lot. Plus I got piece of mind knowing it wasnt a test drive car.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Unless your car was delivered with under 4 miles, it was probably test driven.. even if it was an order. I rode with my dad when he test drove someone's special order 530 which they were picking up later that day. :spit:

·
Registered
748 Posts
If there's a car on the lot with the color and options you want, take it. No sense in waiting 2-3 months for something that's sitting on the lot. If you want special options or color combinations, you're in for a wait with the ordering process. Dealer trade is another option but that's the luck of the draw. My view is if you're paying $30-60K+ for a car, wait for one with all the options you want. Regret is usually painful.

·
1,213 Posts
Kain said:
If you order your car, can you request it not be used for test drives?

Yes. When my m3 came in I made it clear that the only person to drive the car was my salesman. I also made sure not to have it washed by the dealership. Took care of the financing at the dealership and was driven to the warehouse to get my car. Best way to do it IMO, no busy showroom, no people, just you and the car for you to inspect in a brightly lit warehouse. I took my time and then went home with 3 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My car had 3 miles when I picked it up.

If you want BMW to build a car for you, it will take about 3 months. I almost did this, but I got lucky. My car was on shipment from Germany when I ordered it, and the car has all the options I wanted. So, it's brand new.

·
The De46vil's Army
14,951 Posts
I had to order mine, the dealer doesn't order 5-speed with nav, nor did he ever think a he'd see a 325Ci sticker at $39,950 ( i wanted all the factory toys), when it came in it had a big note "DO NOT DRIVE THIS CAR"

I like the idea that i ordered it, 6 weeks isn't bad, Jauar wanted 90 days, mercedes said 4-6 months.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Seriously though... who cares? Is it the "I want to be the first person to drive my car?" thing? Get over it. You'll NEVER be the first person to drive your car unless you get the job of taking the car for its first test lap as it comes off the assembly line.

Besides, your car will be driven longer and harder by the 16 year old punk working as a valet for your dealership's service department when it comes in for oil changes.

·
The De46vil's Army
14,951 Posts
B8888KC said:
My car had 3 miles when I picked it up.

If you want BMW to build a car for you, it will take about 3 months. I almost did this, but I got lucky. My car was on shipment from Germany when I ordered it, and the car has all the options I wanted. So, it's brand new.

should NEVER take more than 6 weeks, dealer must have been BSing you.

i waited 3 months because i wanted to wait for the 2003 model.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
VALMONT said:
should NEVER take more than 6 weeks, dealer must have been BSing you.

i waited 3 months because i wanted to wait for the 2003 model.
I wanted the 2004 model, and I requested it in September 2003. The dealership, BMW of Bellevue (which I really despised) told me that the car would be ready by the end of December or the beginning of January. I didn't want to wait that long, but they couldn't find any car that matches my specifications. So I went to BMW Seattle and within 24 hours, they found the car that matches my specs perfectly. So I didn't have to build the car.

If you tell me the dealer was BSing me, I wouldn't be surprised because that's what they always do and what they're really good at. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.