E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The orange oil light in my car has been staying on after I take the keys out of the ignition. My car only has 6,400 miles on it and I was planning to do an oil change @ 7,500.

Should I Be concerned about this or should I just wait?

Also, how much can I expect to pay for a non-scheduled oil change at the dealer (Westchester BMW).

Thanks!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Mine comes on. They told me it's the sensor and it's need replacing. It's not an issue and I'm getting mine fixed when I got for my first(from then) oil change. Just check your oild every now and then to make sure.

·
Core Fanatic
1,145 Posts
Orange Oil light, low oil level. I would ask the dealer to check it out but your car is perfectly driveable. I would check the oil level manually to be sure.
Red Oil light. Low Pressure.

All of this is in the owners manual.

Oil changes are $90 from my dealer.

·
Registered
769 Posts
i've had the same problem after 5K on mine. after looking at some post here, it looks like it's normal for a car to loose a quart of oil (especially the first few K miles). just put a quart of oil and you'll be fine. if it turns on again in less than 5K miles, then go to the stealer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
PikerCapitalEnt said:
The orange oil light in my car has been staying on after I take the keys out of the ignition. My car only has 6,400 miles on it and I was planning to do an oil change @ 7,500.

Should I Be concerned about this or should I just wait?

Also, how much can I expect to pay for a non-scheduled oil change at the dealer (Westchester BMW).

Thanks!
Mine came on today (hense looking at these posts) the manual says if the light comes on for a short period when you turn off the ignition your oil level is down and to check/top off at your next fuel stop. My car has 6,200 miles on it - It appears we're all using about a quart in the first 5 to 7,000 miles - this is perfectly normal - make sure you use BMW (castrol) branded high performance synthetic - here in Canada it's the same cost at the Dealer as Syntec is at the parts store...

Db

1 - 6 of 6 Posts