BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Haven't messed with stereo since the 80's. Typically just go to best buy and have them install these days

But the Avin (I like what I see) I know I can Bluetooth to the unit (my main objective)
but with waze and google. does that have to be driven from a phone or does the unit run it? How do you download additional Android apps if I am an apple guy?

sorry, I know these are newbish

I have a new to me all original M3 vert

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Haven't messed with stereo since the 80's. Typically just go to best buy and have them install these days

But the Avin (I like what I see) I know I can Bluetooth to the unit (my main objective)
but with waze and google. does that have to be driven from a phone or does the unit run it? How do you download additional Android apps if I am an apple guy?

sorry, I know these are newbish

I have a new to me all original M3 vert
You can run waze and google directly on the head unit, but to do so you need to get data to the head unit. That means either buying a sim card for the head unit (with a monthly fee, like a tablet with cellular) or tethering it to your phone (which eats phone battery life incredibly fast).

Android has the google play store, which is similar to the Apple app store. There's other stores, as well, but I'd steer clear for your needs as they're not always entire free of harm.

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,709 Posts
You can also download offline maps from Google Maps and run without internet access but you will be missing the live realtime information coming in like police radar alerts and traffic rerouting. Another issue with Google offline maps is that they expire every 30 days so you have to re-download them every month.

I just run iGo navigation and it's great but again, no realtime data coming in.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
You can also download offline maps from Google Maps and run without internet access but you will be missing the live realtime information coming in like police radar alerts and traffic rerouting. Another issue with Google offline maps is that they expire every 30 days so you have to re-download them every month.

I just run iGo navigation and it's great but again, no realtime data coming in.
True, there's a bunch of offline nav apps! But, since he specifically mentioned google maps and waze, I assumed he wanted traffic avoidance and/or police hiding warnings.

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,709 Posts
True, there's a bunch of offline nav apps! But, since he specifically mentioned google maps and waze, I assumed he wanted traffic avoidance and/or police hiding warnings.
Indeed. Wireless CarPlay will solve his internet connection issue to have realtime data.

@rocksandblues, if you go the Avin Avant-4 route, make sure to get the WCPAA wireless CarPlay/Android Auto module when you order your system.

·
Registered
84 Posts
perfect answers... appreciate the newbie advice

I am so used to using Waze off my phone. I don't HAVE to have it and probably too cheap to pay another monthly fee for sim. This project car is behind my daily and my weekend e93. Going to sort and sell or if I fall in love will still only be driven monthly- so def don't need a live sim card

thanks for the advice on the apple play adaptor I see it in the spec list.

definitely need to upgrade the head unit and this seems like a clean modern but still some familiar buttons option

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,413 Posts
Dynavin does that too unless i’m miss understanding you. and they come standard in the Dynavin N7 Pro.

but the company’s units differ in other aspects. not saying the Dynavin is best for your particular needs rocksandblues

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,709 Posts
Dynavin does that too unless i’m miss understanding you. and they come standard in the Dynavin N7 Pro.
Wireless CarPlay not an option on the Dynavin. You still have to plug your iPhone into the external iLink module.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,413 Posts
Wireless CarPlay not an option on the Dynavin. You still have to plug your iPhone into the external iLink module.
correct the included iPhone/Android iLink CarPlay isn’t the wireless connected version. but features are the same i was referring to.
Dynavin has stated the connection is a better glitch free cleaner connection that charges phone while being used.
some may or may not like this. don’t know anyone who keeps smartphone (or wallet) in pocket when driving.
but i can see why it may be preferred by some. one obviously uses up more battery. one has more ease connecting.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
correct the included iPhone/Android iLink CarPlay isn’t the wireless connected version. but features are the same i was referring to.
Dynavin has stated the connection is a better glitch free cleaner connection that charges phone while being used.
some may or may not like this. don’t know anyone who keeps smartphone (or wallet) in pocket when driving.
but i can see why it may be preferred by some. one obviously uses up more battery. one has more ease connecting.
two thoughts on that:
1) I went from the wired to wireless version in my coupe. The wired version was pretty glitchy and I wouldn't recomended it to anyone. The wireless version has been 100% reliable. I don't know if it was the same wired version Dynavin uses or not.

2) You can always plug into the wireless version if battery is a concern (directly into the carplay module, or to any charging cable). But, it's amazing how little power it uses-- less than 10% per hour on my 2 year old phone.

For around town driving, it's great to just get in the car and go without plugging in. If I'm going on a road trip... I plug in (which I would even if I wasn't carplaying, really).

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,709 Posts
Trying to understand the logic here. Getting in my car and doing nothing to connect is more effort than plugging in my phone? :hmm:

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,413 Posts
Trying to understand the logic here. Getting in my car and doing nothing to connect is more effort than plugging in my phone? :hmm:
oh sorry no, was referring that would be easier.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Edit: I was wrong, no soldering/cutting is required, thanks to @Overboost and others for pointing that out.

I got my Avant 4 installed yesterday and I think I'm fairly happy. Just got the wireless CarPlay working this morning as it took me a while to figure out. Fortunately their support site showed me a link I had to browse to and download an app that lets it work. I don't care much about the built in interface, I got the Avant 4 to look like it's OEMish and to have wireless CarPlay. When I turn on the car it's instantly in CarPlay mode and seems to be very snappy. The built-in mic works fine so I guess it was a waste to spend $14 or whatever to get the Avin mic. I didn't realize I would have to solder a few wires to the iBus unit to get that working so I'll remove the stereo later this week to do that, it looks pretty trivial. I was surprised how quick it was to do the install. I didn't bother with the hvac relocation bracket, just moved it down and it's fine by me looks-wise. I find the screen too bright, even on lowest setting, so I may look for tinted screen protectors. It's less-bright when using CarPlay since you can do a dark theme. If you have any questions or want videos of anything on it let me know. This is my first Android device so I'm not as familiar with it all yet as I am iOS.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,413 Posts
I didn't realize I would have to solder a few wires to the iBus unit to get that working so I'll remove the stereo later this week to do that...I find the screen too bright, even on lowest setting, so I may look for tinted screen protectors..
this doesn***8217;t sound right, I***8217;m sure it***8217;s like the Dynavin and just plugs in. reviews here say this company is suppose to be just as nice as the Dynavin unit. there***8217;s no hacking into wires or soldering, I***8217;m sure they copied the same type of simple plug-in adapter.

this may also be reason screen is too bright.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The Resler iBus device has a USB plug which connects it to the head unit. Then there are 4 wires coming out the other end that need to tap into the (I believe) K-Bus wires. https://wiki.ibus-app.de/index.php?title=Einbauanleitung_Resler-USB-Interface has information about how to do the install. The actual install of the head unit outside of the iBus adapter is completely plug and play. If you don't want to use the IBus app then you don't need to do any cutting/soldering.

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,709 Posts
I didn't realize I would have to solder a few wires to the iBus unit to get that working so I'll remove the stereo later this week to do that, it looks pretty trivial.
The iBus adapter will plug right into the Avant-4 harness. They send the pigtail for whatever reason and all you need to do is unplug the pigtail and throw it away and plug the adapter into the harness plug for it. You should have a small white 4 pin connector labeled iBus. That to one side of the adapter, the other side USB into the shortest of 3 USB cables on the head unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
The iBus adapter will plug right into the Avant-4 harness.
Gee, that's kind of embarrassing on my part :facepalm: Thanks for pointing that out. I even did see that connector. It didn't look like I could easily remove the built-in connector from the Resler unit but clearly I should have looked into that further. I appreciate the help.

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,709 Posts
Yeah that pigtail on the adapter has caused a lot of confusion on a lot of installs. You're not the only one, even I was confused when I got my kit. My guess is that is the way they get them from Rolf Resler and just throw then in the box. :dunno:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hello, I have e46 325i 2002 cassette with tape, small screen.
my cd changer stopped suddenly.
and I'm looking for suggestions about Screen that allow GPS, Bluetooth, USB etc...
I have a friend who bought one already but it is deadly slow specially with GPS
so I'm asking if someone already tried something nice

61 - 80 of 90 Posts