BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2005 330ci Cabrio. I love my Avant 3! 10" JL subwoofer in spare tire well in premade spare tire box, Alpine components in front doors and rear side panels. All powered by 5-channel Alpine amplifier that is also mounted in the spare tire well. Avant 3 looks and performs great. Android OS that is very easy to use. AvinUSA.com has great install info For the Avant and Bavsound has instructions for speaker replacement. Data only sim from my GoogleFi/ProjectFi phone service allows Android apps to be ***8220;online***8221; nearly all the time. And love WAZE app for navigation!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello guys , as an owner of a 2006 e6 m3 and a car stereo guy that had been in the business for about 20 years I know alot when it comes down to this subject. I have an idea here and need to know any interest in this . I knew when I was looking I wanted one with the factory nav u it because my main idea was to keep it factory looking as possible. And with the after market double din kitsch the radio sticks so far out of the dash its looks just out of place in the clean dash of the e46. Well I do have an idea here and might be able to make this work. I know it's not going to look as factory as it wo up ld but might be able to at least improve aesthetics a bit and function as well with a few different pieces. First one would be a kenwood mechless radio.its bot as deep and can make a custom dash bezel that more factory looking to go around it. Second is the data link meastro . Though right now it's not supported on the e46 platform but want to see if there is enough interest I can talk to idata link an .maybe fond a working solution to it. Buy adding the meastro you then get garages displayed on the radio with can data. And also allowed for k40 radio detector integration into the radio . And any one that knows k40 is a big name in radar detector. And the new 360 unit with laser defuses is top notch. Plus the added app of wase on the radio and the ability to know the police location threw the app that's part of the radio. Add it all together with the better sound from way better head unit with blue tooth wireless car play and android android auto the gauge integration and radar with wase . I know non of the other radios feature the radar . It's kinda my main focus of this. With a car like the e46 any way to be able to go fast and not get in trouble is a better to be able to go fast another day. Let me know what you.guys you think.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,413 Posts
Honestly, the Dynavin has always been a non starter because of the huge, non stock looking buttons. To obviously aftermarket for me to be able to accept it in my car.
interesting because Dynavin is the pioneer in a factory E46 looking double din navigation unit. the very first company. been to over half a dozen Bimmerfests and everyone said it looked absolutely factory. and with ten buttons on unit (plus the steering wheel controls) how many buttons does one need since it’s a touchscreen anyways??
the exact amount of buttons wouldn’t be a non-starter for me. the lack of CD player would be way before buttons. does the Avin 4 have a CD/DVD player built in? sure i’ve read sound articles on estimates that like only 60% of new cars will come with a CD players standard by 2021. but also read how 3 in 5 buyers want it so they’ll still be available basically on every car as an option. so i’m not the only one lol. as we know CDs sound better than MP3s on top of it all. but understand it’s not important to everyone.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
interesting because Dynavin is the pioneer in a factory E46 looking double din navigation unit. the very first company. been to over half a dozen Bimmerfests and everyone said it looked absolutely factory. and with ten buttons on unit (plus the steering wheel controls) how many buttons does one need since it’s a touchscreen anyways??
the exact amount of buttons wouldn’t be a non-starter for me. the lack of CD player would be way before buttons. does the Avin 4 have a CD/DVD player built in? sure i’ve read sound articles on estimates that like only 60% of new cars will come with a CD players standard by 2021. but also read how 3 in 5 buyers want it so they’ll still be available basically on every car as an option. so i’m not the only one lol. as we know CDs sound better than MP3s on top of it all. but understand it’s not important to everyone.
It may have been the first, but it's certainly nowhere near as stock looking as the Avin at this point:

Avin Avant 3/4:

Stock:

Dynavin:

The Avant 3/4 does not have a CD player. They do sell a unit that looks like a Dynavin that as a CD player, but meh.

I threw out all my CDs in ~2006 after losslessly ripping them, so this is not an area of concern. That said, you have to have a pretty fancy car stereo, and probably a more sound insulated car than the e46, to be able to tell the difference between a high bit rate MP3 and CD in a car. I've gone the other way with it-- in my M3 coupe I've eliminated all but 2 of my speakers for weight saving :loco:

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,709 Posts

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
4,946 Posts
Horses for courses.

Yes, the Avin has the same number and style of buttons as factory.

Personally, I think the Dynavin better as it's less cluttered, yet still looks factory. From a looks standpoint, IMHO it's a toss of a coin.

I have not heard the Avin, but I know my Dynavin was a HUGE sound improvement over factory (and I personally like the fact it still has the CD player). Not worth otherwise friendly folks arguing over.

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,709 Posts
Horses for courses.

Yes, the Avin has the same number and style of buttons as factory.

Personally, I think the Dynavin better as it's less cluttered, yet still looks factory. From a looks standpoint, IMHO it's a toss of a coin.

I have not heard the Avin, but I know my Dynavin was a HUGE sound improvement over factory (and I personally like the fact it still has the CD player). Not worth otherwise friendly folks arguing over.
Agreed, certainly a matter of choice.

I have not seen any arguing, just posts about benefits and deficiencies from one to another. At the end of the day, they are all media infotainment systems that bring the E46 into this millennium. :thumbup:

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,413 Posts
to say the Dynavin is "nowhere near looking as stock.." is a bit of a stretch. since the previous comparision photos were against both BMW and Avin at night with lights on i took a quick one with the red interior dash lights turned up (not this bright usually) to submit for anyone reading to make their own decision.

also don't think Dynavin being the first factory looking double din navigation replacement was going for an exact copy of the BMW unit (which by the way there were different versions of E45 navigation face anyways). this might have given the impression it was a cheap china knock-off which it wasn't. it was it's own system. with high grade audio hardware that's already been mentioned. just a clean uncluttered, non-busy factory looking facia that matches the surrounding buttons and font. again the unit is an easy to use "touch screen".
correct me if i'm wrong but Avin shows having DVD buttons (and others) which it doesn't come with right? so some buttons on unit aren't even working :dunno:

again they're all pretty nice units to select from with some differences brought up in thread.
my way oversized Dynavin N6 photo below :p

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,709 Posts
Not sure what DVD button you mention. Maybe on the old Avant-3 but certainly not on my Avant-4. And all buttons are functional for their described purpose. The botton right button is a cover for the microSD card and reset button so technically not a button. :dunno:

Attachments

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,413 Posts
Not sure what DVD button you mention. Maybe on the old Avant-3 but certainly not on my Avant-4. And all buttons are functional for their described purpose. The botton right button is a cover for the microSD card and reset button so technically not a button. :dunno:
oh yeah that looks more like it.
post #49 has an Avin photo with DVD button 3rd button up from the right

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Yeah, that's a Avant-3. They may have been Obioban's original Avin. He was one of the early adopters of the Avin product.
I have an Avant 3 in the M3 coupe and an Avant 4 in the M3 wagon.

Because 99% of my Avin use is wireless carplay, I don't really see any compelling reason to swap out the 3 for a 4 in the coupe-- other than boot speed (which would be nice, as I have everything in the coupe power 100% off immediately when the car is turned off due to a <6 lb lithium battery), I don't think I'd get any benefit out of the 4.

If I was less lazy, I'd swap which car had which head unit-- since the wagon (full size battery) just puts the head unit into sleep mode, so doesn't experience boot time. But, that's more work than it sounds, since I made my own wiring harness for the coupe to save weight...

41 - 60 of 90 Posts