BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new-to-me 2005 330xi ha an aftermarket stereo head unit with Bluetooth and other conveniences. It sounds great, but I prefer a factory look.

What are my best options for a replacement with Bluetooth and other more modern bells/whistles that looks like it was original to the car?

Thanks!

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,261 Posts
The Dynavin and Eonon units look factory. You have to relocate your HVAC logicon down to where the storage compartment is, but that's what BMW did for the E46s equipped with OEM (and by now horribly outdated) nav units.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback! I think all of these options look great. Any insights on overall quality or differences in features between these options?

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,709 Posts
Avin Avant-4 has really has the best reviews. I have one in my X5 and couldn't be happier. Price is right starting at $299.

It brings a car made nearly 20 years ago up to the most recent features. Driver assist, wireless CarPlay, Android Auto, backup cam, Bluetooth hands free telephone and wireless music streaming, etc.

And being Android based you can add any program or feature. "There's an app for that" :thumbup:

https://youtu.be/3JY6CF82r7o

https://youtu.be/bc-H4bYFhF8

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,413 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! I think all of these options look great. Any insights on overall quality or differences in features between these options?
Dynavin is the highest quality for an audiophile of the three mentioned. if sound isn't the most important and apps are then it's between the Eonon and Avin. both the two latter can be less expensive than the Dynavin.

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,709 Posts
Dynavin is the highest quality for an audiophile of the three mentioned. if sound isn't the most important and apps are then it's between the Eonon and Avin. both the two latter are less expensive than the Dynavin.
I have never heard this before. I would love to see the source of this opinion. I know most people complain about the propriety software Dynavin uses (now extinct Windows CE) and that no apps can be added or modified.

All of the latest Avin systems are now available with DSP chips in the units so you are really able to tune the sound frequencies and time alignment. To my knowledge, the Dynavin doesn't even come close.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,226 Posts
My Dynavin N6 has the time alignment and all that jazz. It sounds pretty good to me but I'm not really an audiophile. I had purchased the Dynavin over the Avin at the time because I'm frequently in areas where there's no data coverage, so having the nav native to the unit rather than app based was appealing.
My only quibble with it has been that the placement of the touchscreen slider makes it really difficult to operate, especially while driving.

If I were buying today it would probably be the Avin, especially since it's now possible to pre-download navigation before you lose signal, which you couldn't do with Waze or Google maps when I bought the N6.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Really wish somebody would make more modern 1-din option, I don't want the 2din because it's too expensive and would probably get stolen where I live. But OEM looking headunit with bluetooth would be perfect. Yes I know you can get BT through aux, but then your steering wheel controls don't work and sound quality suffers

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,709 Posts
I bought the iGo Maps microSD card with all of North America so no internet required. Pretty decent app with 3D buildings and landmarks.

I do see the Dynavin has a 24 bit Burr-Brown DAC so it may have a nicer base component but with DSP, I think those advantages would be marginal at best, and certainly wouldn't be noticed with the factory BMW speakers.

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
4,946 Posts
I've also got the Dynavin N6. The sound quality vs OEM is night and day difference. It improved dramatically just by installing the N6. It was enough that my wife, clearly not an audiophile, could easily tell the difference.

I am going to upgrade to the N7 eventually. I was planning on doing it this year, but a 5 month lay-off scuttled several plans. Probably next year. I really want the upgraded interface and especially the upgraded touch screen.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
You can use the steering wheel controls (forward back a track) with the below.

It also works on YouTube app to go forward or back a video. Not that you should be watching videos whilst driving.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-Musik-Adapter-BMW-E46-E39-E38-E53-E85-f-r-3-6-CD-Wechsleranschluss/253153228002

Really wish somebody would make more modern 1-din option, I don't want the 2din because it's too expensive and would probably get stolen where I live. But OEM looking headunit with bluetooth would be perfect. Yes I know you can get BT through aux, but then your steering wheel controls don't work and sound quality suffers

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
You want this:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=599340

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
And to the OP: The Avant 4 is pretty great. Far and away the most stock looking head unit (only thing that gives it away is the glossy screen, which they all have, sadly), and the only unit (AFAIK) with wireless carplay.

Wireless carplay is a complete, 100% game changer IMO. The moment they added that, I put Avins in all my cars. Having waze/police locations on the car's nav screen, with your phone in your pocket (and not using much battery), without having to pay for a data plan for your car is just perfection.

On my M3 coupe (that car specifically because I was willing to put in the effort), the Avin also enabled me to take almost 50 lbs of factory stereo crap out of my car that the Avin rendered redundant.

I also use it to monitor tire temps and pressures on track. And it can pull/reset codes if I need to. It's a ton of functionality in an OE looking package for a reasonable price. I'm super pleased with it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
And to the OP: The Avant 4 is pretty great. Far and away the most stock looking head unit (only thing that gives it away is the glossy screen, which they all have, sadly), and the only unit (AFAIK) with wireless carplay.

Wireless carplay is a complete, 100% game changer IMO. The moment they added that, I put Avins in all my cars. Having waze/police locations on the car's nav screen, with your phone in your pocket (and not using much battery), without having to pay for a data plan for your car is just perfection.

On my M3 coupe (that car specifically because I was willing to put in the effort), the Avin also enabled me to take almost 50 lbs of factory stereo crap out of my car that the Avin rendered redundant.

I also use it to monitor tire temps and pressures on track. And it can pull/reset codes if I need to. It's a ton of functionality in an OE looking package for a reasonable price. I'm super pleased with it.
I purchased laptop antiglare film to install over my glossy screen. You can get a 3pack for under $20 from amazon. I messed up twice and still have enough to do 4 more radios.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've used Dynavin personally and it's all I'll use in my bimmers. Keeps the factory look but is anything but. 4v pre-outs, Burr Brown processing, the works. I'm about to build a full SQ sound set up in mine. Dynavin will be in my dash.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,413 Posts
Dynavins have had that DSP time alignment for 5 years now and two model prior. Their screens also have the non-glare and the latest model has even beter screen, no antiglare screen film needed. I know some of the other brands you have to pay extra just to have them add DSP sound alignment and even more for Carplay. Dynavins come with it. Dynavin has exceptional tech support from Jeff on this forum and legit warranty. He's also a site sponsor and has been great to us on the forum.
Some key things about Dynavin's are they have on board navigation, and use good/real audio hardware. The latest units come with Carplay and Android auto (no hassle, no apps to install, just plug in your phone and it works).

Noticed there's a new thread on the Dynavin N7-Pro in the sites Sound forum now if you want to check it out. :hi:

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1264351

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Can you get wireless CarPlay on the dynavin? That***8217;s really the life changer, imo.

Honestly, the dynavin has always been a non starter because of the huge, non stock looking buttons. To obviously aftermarket for me to be able to accept it in my car.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts