E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit a deer with my 2004 325xi 5 speed. Picked up a 2002 325xi 5 speed touring to replace it. Already swapped my nicer door panels,radio, and hvac controls from my 04'. Anything else to swap options wise? My 04' has power memory seats, auto wipers and lights. I would swap the seats but my wagon has non power sport seats the 04' just regular black seats. I'm a mechanic so not afraid to do anything.

·
Registered
2002 325xiT 5MT
660 Posts
Do you have space / desire to keep the sedan around? Might be handy to pull parts off of it as time goes by.

To pull off if not… Window regulators? A / B pillar trims? Sunroof cassette? Depending on mileages between the two cars, maybe transfer case, diffs, driveshafts, axles, calipers, anything that’s still good if you ask me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The auto lights and wipers require the sensor on the windshield in order to make them work, so not sure how far you're willing to go on that path.
Yeah I have read up about it and know you need to swap the windshield too. Power seat swap seems like a lot of work also.
Do you have space / desire to keep the sedan around? Might be handy to pull parts off of it as time goes by.

To pull off if not… Window regulators? A / B pillar trims? Sunroof cassette? Depending on mileages between the two cars, maybe transfer case, diffs, driveshafts, axles, calipers, anything that’s still good if you ask me.
Have the space but the old lady wouldn't like it haha. I was gonna take what i wanted and then part it out. Wanted to keep the engine and drive train and whatever else is nicer. Almost feel bad about doing it to the car but japan red parts are hard to come by. Luckily my wagon has no sunroof and i just ordered euro black headliner trim then going to put in black headliner.

·
Registered
2002 325xiT 5MT
660 Posts
Luckily my wagon has no sunroof and i just ordered euro black headliner trim then going to put in black headliner.
Well I secretly knew it was possible, but didn’t expect that! Lucky duck with manual sport seats and slicktop. I just swapped in manual sport seats into my wagon and really like them.

Sounds like you’ve got a grasp on what’s worth keeping and what’s better off making some money from. Both cars being a 325 I don’t have any other revelations.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I secretly knew it was possible, but didn’t expect that! Lucky duck with manual sport seats and slicktop. I just swapped in manual sport seats into my wagon and really like them.

Sounds like you’ve got a grasp on what’s worth keeping and what’s better off making some money from. Both cars being a 325 I don’t have any other revelations.
So you'd not swap the power seat bottoms onto the sport seats I'm assuming then? Car is pretty nice for being from New Jersey. Original owner kept all maintenance records and its completely stock. Came with original window sticker. Has cold weather package and xenons also. Maybe kinda rare? But prob not as rare as I'd expect I assume.

·
Registered
2002 325xiT 5MT
660 Posts
So you'd not swap the power seat bottoms onto the sport seats I'm assuming then? Car is pretty nice for being from New Jersey. Original owner kept all maintenance records and its completely stock. Came with original window sticker. Has cold weather package and xenons also. Maybe kinda rare? But prob not as rare as I'd expect I assume.
Fairly rare I’d say, especially with factory manual and no sunroof. There is a thread on here with production numbers for tourings, but I’m no expert there (or anywhere.) Xenons are a great bonus, and buying from an original owner with records is a real jackpot!

I looked long and hard for manual sport seats, for the sole reason that they sit lower in the car. I have measured in my wagon with power/comfort seats, power/sport seats, and manual/sport seats, and the manual sports sit about 5/8” - 3/4” lower than either power seats. I don’t really have a need for the memory function as it’s pretty much just me driving the car, so I prefer the manual version.

Next I will combine heat, lumbar and manual sport seats from some donor seats I have, that’s the ultimate if you ask me.

Can we see any pictures of your sedan / wagon?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's actually this car. Saw it on Craigslist and bought it less than week later. https://jalopnik.com/at-4-900-is-this-2002-bmw-325xi-touring-a-good-deal-1849467971

I can get pictures tomorrow of both. Hood on wagon was dented near grills which is hidden in pictures. The back right corner someone did a horrible rust repair which I can tell was very small but they went over kill. Already went to body shop to discuss repair. Waiting to find a good steel gray hood but seems impossible. Might just get a nice black one and get that painted. And no I didn't pay 4900. Didn't buy from original owner sadly. 1st owner had it for 17 years. 3rd owner i got it from but 2nd person put 10k miles in 3 years on it and was the original owners nanny apparently. Guy i got it from bought it for only like 3k(i saw orig.CL ad and asked about it. Had it registered for 3 days before I bought it. He was not mechanically inclined and realized it would be expensive to even get brakes replaced. So he flipped it which i respect. Car is really clean under neath no rust except for that bad repair. Needs some TLC. But my other car has most the parts I need change. Love the car already and I don't know why but it feels so solid and handles nicer than my 04'

·
Registered
2002 325xiT 5MT
660 Posts
It's actually this car. Saw it on Craigslist and bought it less than week later.
Oh snap! Yeah I remember seeing that on the tourings for sale thread. I’d say that was a really nice find, and pretty close to original owner is still great.

I’ve got a nice steel grey hood but it started it’s life on my wagon and is still there 😉 I also have a set of style 73’s for the winter. Classic wheel, just wish they had more width / offset. And I don’t drive mine much in winter really so kind of pointless to have them.

I’ve heard paint matching steel grey is tough, but have not had experience myself yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh snap! Yeah I remember seeing that on the tourings for sale thread. I’d say that was a really nice find, and pretty close to original owner is still great.

I’ve got a nice steel grey hood but it started it’s life on my wagon and is still there 😉 I also have a set of style 73’s for the winter. Classic wheel, just wish they had more width / offset. And I don’t drive mine much in winter really so kind of pointless to have them.

I’ve heard paint matching steel grey is tough, but have not had experience myself yet.
I got some bmw 17" steelies with chrome center caps for the winter. Hopefully not too hard. Shop I brought it to works on some crazy nice stuff. He had a 1970s BMW 3.0 CSL racecar in there when I stopped by.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yeah I have read up about it and know you need to swap the windshield too. Power seat swap seems like a lot of work also.

Have the space but the old lady wouldn't like it haha. I was gonna take what i wanted and then part it out. Wanted to keep the engine and drive train and whatever else is nicer. Almost feel bad about doing it to the car but japan red parts are hard to come by. Luckily my wagon has no sunroof and i just ordered euro black headliner trim then going to put in black headliner.
Tell the old lady that every time you pull off a part you would have otherwise had to buy, means you can spend that money on her. That should help.

·
Registered
833 Posts
If you're willing to sell your rear view mirror I'd be happy to buy it. As long as it's snug/tight and not loose.

Don't pull the mirror off the mount - pull the whole assembly off the glass by rotating left or right (don't forget to disconnect the wiring plug).

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
6,669 Posts
Swapping the bases isn't possible between sport and comfort seats, and I'd personally rather have manual sport seats than power standard ones. Many people prefer manual seats, and they're rare, so I wouldn't consider swapping that part if it were me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Swapping the bases isn't possible between sport and comfort seats, and I'd personally rather have manual sport seats than power standard ones. Many people prefer manual seats, and they're rare, so I wouldn't consider swapping that part if it were me.
From what I have seen you can swap sport seats onto the standard seat bases. Just super involved.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts