E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
yuppie racing
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to own a 318ti. Anyone who owns or had one knows that the most efficient way to make that car fast is to engine swap. The e36 M3 fits perfectly under the hood and it is usually the first thing ti enthusiats put in their car if they have the money. Now heres my question, in this case would it be ok to put an "m" badge on the back of that car?? Im not saying put an M3 badge back there, just the "M". Many off us have M components on our cars which have the M symbol on it, such as our sport rims or the M3 steering wheel. The ti, also eventually came with a sports package that included M symbols on parts of the car, although not the trunk. In this case, if the owner has the M3 engine, I see no wrong in him putting on an M badge back there. He is not putting a M3 badge, as thats not what his car is. Just the M symbol. You may also say that he could just change the badging on the back to a 330ti or 332ti depending on the displacement of the engine. BMW never officially made a 332ti so putting this on the back of your car is no better or worse than just the M badge, either case it's not a "true BMW car'. Remember also, many of you have ACS badges, Hamann badges and racing dynamic badges on your trunk but dont truly own a ACS, Hamann, or Racing Dynamics official production ride. Is that any different?? By the way, I see so many ti's at car shows with M3 engines having the badges on the back. Those owners are not trying to be poseurs or "wannabe" M3s, in fact most of their rides would whip some M3 butts.

To clarify, Im saying I see no wrong in putting an M badge on the back of your ride if you have an M engine. Im not saying putting an M3 badge, becuase that would be misleading and fake. So whats your thoughts on all this??

·
Owner
3,732 Posts
The only thing is, that when people see your car and see the M badge, they automatically assume you're a poser. But if you ever get the chance to pop the hood and show them what's underneath, you can make them eat their words.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Whatever, some people think it's cool...some people hate seeing "M" badges on non-M cars, even if it does have the M3 motor. Thain again, the 318ti did have the optional "M package" with M badges on the side already, so what's the big deal about throwing one on the back?
Plus, you could always shut them up by blowing them away from a stoplight.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I guess technically, you've got an M engine you can throw on an M badge, but that badge is on the engine. Take pride in that. Don't put the badge on the body of your car. It's cooler to have a "sleeper" anywya. If someone rolls up beside you and wants to race, you know you can beat him :D

·
yuppie racing
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me just clarify, I no longer have a 318ti, I was just using that as the example. Before I got my 330ci, I was extremely unimpressed with the speed of my slightly modded ti,(although handeling was perfect) and I was thinking about doing the engine swap.

·
TPS Report Coverer
266 Posts
Like some of the others said, mod for yourself and make your car the way you want it to look:thumbup: As much as I respect and value everyone else's opinion, especially on this board that has so many varied and creative individuals, at the end of the day I have in my mind my own image of what I wish/want my car to look like.

With that said, I personally have no attraction towards an M-badge...unless it's attached to an M3, in which case I'd love to have one.:D

·
can ya spare some change?
735 Posts
If you did the engine swap, I'd either remove the badge all together or leave the 318ti on there. In either case, it'd be a sleeper cause most people would not think that u'd have an e36 M3 engine in it until you leave them in the dust.

·
I holla
1,503 Posts
erin said:
I guess technically, you've got an M engine you can throw on an M badge, but that badge is on the engine. Take pride in that. Don't put the badge on the body of your car. It's cooler to have a "sleeper" anywya. If someone rolls up beside you and wants to race, you know you can beat him :D
:werd:

·
Registered
805 Posts
I'm receiving my M3 next month and will be debadging it. frankly, I don't like badges on the car except the BMW logo on the trunk and the hood, except those are emblems not really badges. other than that, I would never do it.

I agree w/ the other guys saying to leave it a sleeper. there's really no use to M-badge it, unless you like people to think you're a poser (even if your car has an M-motor).

yeah, you can say you don't care what people think BUT if you really don't care, what's the point of putting an M badge on to begin with???

·
yuppie racing
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: ...

Roshan said:
there are many facets to a ///M car besides the engine. The appropriate thing to is rebadge if 3.2 (96-99) or 3.0 (95).
No, you mean there are many different facets to an M3 or an M5. The "M" itself is just the symbol of the division of BMW that deals with Motorsport, that is included on products nade buy them like engines, rims, steering wheels, aero kits etc nothing more. Were not talking about M3 badges. A 332 or 330 badge would be no different as just putting on an ///M badge. Yes a 330 badge could signify the engine type but so would the M badge. You dont just have a 3 liter engine under the hood, you have an 3.0 liter M engine.

and by the way, thanks everyone for the opinions, its always interesting what other fanatics think about certain issues dealing with their cars.

·
Registered
660 Posts
It's your car, do whatever you want with it. However, it doesn't matter what you do to your car or how you justify yourself, people who see it will always judge you. Of course, there's that whole saying of "sticks and stones...blah blah blah". If you can stand the criticisms from others, more power to you. Afterall, a badge is a badge, nothing more. Leave it on, take it off, spin it about on your hood, totally up to you.

If I were to de-badge my car, I'm putting my name on the car. It'll read "Simon323i". Screw Dinan and AC Schnitzer badges, it's my car, not theirs.
:D :D :D

·
E46Fanatic
3,055 Posts
i don't see a big deal in the first place about putting it on. i like the clean look, but there's an ///M logo on my wheels that BMW put there, so why can't i sport that on the back of my car? if someone w/ ACS pedals can put a ACS decal on their car then i guess anything goes. but i agree w/ some of the others that it's your car, if you feel it, do it :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.