BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read lots of good reviews from the general (non-sport) motoring community on this tire, but I'm curious about the experience of the BMW/sports car community for this rubber.

Compared to Blizzacks, the price is sure nice...

·
Registered
186 Posts
You probably won't find too many first-hand reviews from BMW people since "performance" type winter tires are more common. But, the General Altimax Arctic is a rebranded Gislaved Nord-Frost 3 from Sweden (actually they are both made in Germany now). An excellent tire, and was one of the absolute best studded tires out there just a few years ago. The snow traction will be excellent and ice traction with studs will be the same. If you are not running studs, I'd bet the Blizzak WS-60 and Michelin X-Ice Xi2 will be better. You are right though, they are a super value.

The General is an aggressive, hardcore, squishy winter tire. If you need to maintain sporty handling in the winter (when the roads are dry and bare) it's not a good choice for you. If you value snow/ice traction over dry handling and are on a budget, it's a great choice

·
Registered
253 Posts
+1

+1 on that.

I bought a set bc i am on a budget and the car is VERY loose in comparison to Dunlop M2s I had before. My TC is going nuts in curves even at lower speeds. I had them on for less than a week and am debating putting them on craigslist and getting a performance-winter tire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts